Day two of the TYR 2023 Wodapalooza (WZA) started off with a unique event called “We Have Lift Off.” Here, competitors squared off in a two-part workout that featured only two moves in total: a one-rep max clean & jerk, followed by a one-rep max parallette free-standing handstand hold.
Each half of the workout featured its own winner, with the top athlete in the clean & jerk earning 60 points and the winner of the handstand hold receiving 40. Check out the full recap of this sheer test of strength below.
Women’s Results — Clean & Jerk
- Cece Cronin — 256 pounds
- Dani Speegle — 255 pounds
- Paige Semenza — 247 pounds
- Elisa Fuliano — 246 pounds
- Paige Powers — 245 pounds
- Sydney Michalyshen — 241 pounds (T-6th)
- Olivia Kertstetter —241 pounds (T-6th)
- Victoria Campos — 241 pounds (T-6th)
- Andrea Nisler — 237 pounds
- Emma Tall — 236 pounds
Women’s Results — Handstand
- Rebecca Fuselier — 01:27.44
- Elisa Fuliano — 01:22.47
- Emily Rolfe — 01:19.87
- Chloe Carano — 01:08.44
- Dani Speegle — 01:06.10
- Paige Powers — 00:54.97
- Sydney Wells — 00:54.16
- Aimee Cringle —00:52.93
- Alexia Williams — 00:51.35
- Brittany Weiss — 00:49.12
Men’s Results — Clean & Jerk
- Guilherme Malheiros — 395 pounds
- Tudor Magda — 386 pounds
- Briant Guillaume — 370 pounds
- Jack Rozema — 367 pounds
- Henrik Haapalainen — 366 pounds
- Artur Semenov — 365 pounds
- Travon Benton — 360 pounds
- Ricky Garard — 356 pounds (T-8th)
- Roman Khrennikov — 356 pounds (T-8th)
- Nick Mathew — 355 pounds
Men’s Results — Handstand
- Cole Greashaber — 01:28.25
- Briant Guillaume — 01:11.31
- Nick Mathew — 01:10.56
- Henrik Haapalainen — 01:10.35
- Phillip Muscarella — 01:09.38
- Ricky Garard — 01:01.00
- Patrick Vellner — 00:52.12
- Samuel Paquin — 00:48.50
- Artur Semenov — 00:46.50
- Roman Khrennikov — 00:46.03
Individual Event Four Workout — “We Have Lift Off”
Here’s how the unique two-part structure of this event broke down:
- One-Rep-Max Clean & Jerk — Establish Max Load in Four Minutes.
One-minute transition, then begin at minute five:
- Parallette Free-Standing Handstand Hold — Establish Max Time in a Single Attempt.
Dani Speegle’s pure strength made her one of the favorites to win the clean & jerk portion of the workout; however, Cece Cronin took the victory with a 256-pound lift. Speegle came just a shade under at 255 pounds, leaving everyone to wonder if she had more in the tank. Paige Semenza placed third with a final lift of 247 pounds, one pound more than Elisa Fuliano and two more than Paige Powers.
Part B of the workout consisted of a parallette free-standing handstand hold, which 2022 NOBULL CrossFit Games rookie Rebecca Fuselier won with a time of 1:27.44. She bested Elisa Fuliano’s runner-up hold of 1:22.47 and Emily Rolfe’s time of 1:19.87.
Guilherme Malheiros put a difficult opening day behind him with an event win in the most emphatic way possible. The 23-year-old set a new personal competition record with a 395-pound clean & jerk that wowed the crowd. Twenty-year-old Tudor Magda looked to give Malheiros a run for his money but ended up with a final lift of 386 pounds.
[Related: 7 Best CrossFit Athletes of 2022]
Briant Guillaume placed third with a successful lift of 370 pounds, besting Jack Rozema by three pounds. Not to be outdone by his fellow Games teen division alums Malheiros and Tudor Magda, Cole Greashaber picked up the event win in Part B, hitting a handstand hold for 1:28.25. That was 17 seconds better than Guillaume and 18 better than third-place finisher Nick Mathew.
Follow BarBend’s 2023 TYR Wodapalooza Coverage
The competition will be live-streamed on the Loud And Live Sports YouTube channel. Stay tuned to BarBend’s event coverage and results page to keep up-to-date on all the happenings and daily in-depth analysis from the 2023 TYR Wodapalooza.
Featured Image: Patrick Clark