Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements have achieved significant prominence as a means for combating joint pain and stiffness. Given this supplement hasn’t been popular or accepted in the scientific community for very long, it’s not as well established as many vitamin supplements. For instance, it can be hard to know which products are worth your money.
The two ingredients, glucosamine, usually sourced from shellfish and chondroitin from cartilage, may have promise when dosed appropriately. That’s why we did the work for you and landed on these five excellent options:
Best Glucosamine Supplements
- Best Glucosamine Supplement: Zenwise Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin
- Best Simple Formula: Doctor’s Best Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM
- Best Glucosamine with Vitamin D: Move Free Vitamin D3, MSM, Glucosamine, and Chondroitin
- Highest Dosage Glucosamine: Horbäach Glucosamine Chondroitin with Turmeric & MSM
- Highest MSM Glucosamine Supplement: Zenesis Labs Glucosamine Sulfate Chondroitin MSM
Editor’s note: The content on BarBend is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as medical advice. The opinions and articles on this site are not intended to diagnose, prevent, and/or treat health problems. It’s always a good idea to talk to your doctor before beginning a new fitness, nutritional, and/or supplement routine. Individual needs for vitamins and minerals will vary.
Best Glucosamine Supplement
This glucosamine supplement aims to promote mobility, flexibility, lubrication, and strength to the hip joint. In addition to the 1,500 milligrams of glucosamine and 1,200 milligrams of Chondroitin Sulfate per three-capsule serving, this supplement also includes 100 milligrams of curcumin and 25 milligrams hyaluronic acid. According to a 2017 study in Foods, curcumin can help manage exercise-induced inflammation and muscle soreness, which can make for improved recovery and performance. (1)
Zenwise Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin
Hyaluronic acid plays a role in cushioning and lubricating the body as the most versatile macromolecule present in the connective tissues of all vertebrae, according to a review in Advances in Food and Nutrition Research. It is also found in the joints, eyes, and heart valves. (2)
This joint health supplement provides 30 three-capsule servings that consist of 1,500 milligrams of glucosamine and 1,200 milligrams of chondroitin. It also includes curcumin (250 milligrams), hyaluronic acid (25 milligrams).
Who Should Buy Zenwise Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin
- Those who value the addition of curcumin to support exercise recovery.
- Anyone working with a tighter budget.
- Folks who want the added hyaluronic acid in their supplement regimen.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Zenwise Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin
- Anyone looking for a pure glucosamine supplement.
- People who don’t enjoy taking three pills for each serving.
There is much to like about Zenwise’s supplement, from its overall dosage to added ingredients to aid the glucosamine. This is a great pick-up for more active individuals who want to reduce the inflammation of their joints after training and get some extra help with their recovery to get back in the gym faster.
[Related: Could Baking Soda Be The Best Workout Supplement You’ve Never Tried?]
Best Simple Formula
Doctor’s Best provides a glucosamine supplement purchasable in either 120 or 240-capsule bottles. Each four-capsule serving provides 1,500 milligrams of glucosamine and 1,200 milligrams of Chondroitin Sulfate and is free of GMOs, soy, and gluten. The simple ingredient list is intended to promote joint function and flexibility, and the 1,000 milligrams of MSM per serving is purified through distillation.
Doctor’s Best Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM
The value of this particular supplement compared to other competitive options is the simplicity of the ingredient list. There aren’t any superfluous additions if you are looking primarily for some additional glucosamine.
An uncomplicated supplement with good doses of glucosamine, chondroitin, and methylsulfonylmethane is available in 120- or 240-capsule bottles. The capsules are non-GMO, gluten and soy-free.
Who Should Buy Doctor’s Best Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM
- Those who want a glucosamine supplement with a short ingredient list.
- Folks who would prefer to obtain their glucosamine in bulk.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Doctor’s Best Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM
- Anyone who wants a higher dose of glucosamine per serving.
- People who would prefer having some additional ingredients like added Vitamin D or hyaluronic acid.
If you are currently following a daily supplement regimen and your doctor has given you the green light to add glucosamine to it, this is a great option for those who don’t want to overcomplicate things. If the requirement of four capsules per serving doesn’t put you off, then seriously consider adding this to your cart.
[Related: The Best Types Of Supplements For Performance, Weight Loss, And Health]
Best Glucosamine with Vitamin D
The main reason to choose this option over the rest of the field is suggested in its rank, and that’s the addition of Vitamin D. Each two-tablet serving provides 50 micrograms of Vitamin D alongside 1,500 milligrams of glucosamine. There is also the inclusion of 3.3 milligrams of hyaluronic acid for those seeking that extra joint lubrication.
Move Free Vitamin D3, MSM, Glucosamine, and Chondroitin
The additional Vitamin D does not come without some concessions. This supplement has a slightly increased price tag compared to the rest of the market, and the 10 calories per serving are fairly unique compared to most calorie-free options.
Each two-tablet serving provides of this supplement provides 50 micrograms of Vitamin D alongside 1,500 milligrams of glucosamine. Additionally, there are 3.3 milligrams of hyaluronic acid per serving for better joint health.
Who Should Buy Move Free Vitamin D3, MSM, Glucosamine, and Chondroitin
- Anyone who needs to get more Vitamin D in their diet.
- Folks who appreciate a serving size of only two tablets.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Move Free Vitamin D3, MSM, Glucosamine, and Chondroitin
- People who don’t want their supplements to have any calories.
- Those looking for a more pure glucosamine supplement.
If you could use the additional Vitamin D this supplement provides, it will likely outweigh the downsides of a negligible amount of calories and somewhat increased cost. If you want a higher dose of glucosamine and aren’t all that interested in the additional ingredients, then you’ll likely be better served with a less pricey option.
[Related: Intermittent Fasting 101: A Guide To Benefits, Muscle Gain, And More]
Highest Dosage Glucosamine
For those looking to add a large amount of glucosamine to their supplement regimen, Horbäach covers that base pretty well. Each three-capsule serving contains their “advanced formula joint blend,” consisting of 2,250 milligrams of glucosamine and 1,800 milligrams of MSM. Additionally, the capsules have 90 milligrams of Vitamin C and 267 milligrams of potassium.
Horbäach Glucosamine Chondroitin with Turmeric & MSM
These capsules are lactose, GMO, wheat, and soy-free and exclude all artificial sweeteners and preservatives. Considering how high the dose is, the price tag is noticeably lower than many of the competing options on the market.
This joint health supplement is especially high in glucosamine, which may delay the progression of osteoarthritis and help relieve joint pain. Each three-capsule serving provides 2,250 milligrams of glucosamine.
Who Should Buy Horbäach Glucosamine Chondroitin with Turmeric & MSM
- Those who want a very high dose of glucosamine per serving.
- Anyone who needs to keep their supplement spending down.
- Folks who are happy to have the extra Vitamin C in their diet.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Horbäach Glucosamine Chondroitin with Turmeric & MSM
- Anyone who doesn’t need such a high glucosamine dose in a single serving.
- People who would rather have Vitamin D instead of Vitamin C alongside their glucosamine.
With 60 servings per bottle, each capsule comes in at eight cents each. That kind of value is undeniable compared to the rest of the field when looking strictly at glucosamine dose. If you are on the market for a dose this high, it would be pretty hard to argue against this option.
[Related: Best Macros Calculator For Tracking Muscle Gain And Fat Loss]
Highest MSM Glucosamine Supplement
As you sift through all the glucosamine options on the market, this particular supplement will stand out for high MSM content. Each five-capsule serving contains 2,000 milligrams of MSM with 1,500 milligrams of glucosamine and 1,200 milligrams of Chondroitin Sulfate. Five capsules per serving is certainly a lot to take for one serving, and the financial cost to do so isn’t all that attractive. However, the sheer amount of MSM provided in a product with such a short ingredient list is undeniable.
Zenesis Labs Glucosamine Sulfate Chondroitin MSM
The capsules include bovine gelatin, so if that would conflict with any dietary concerns, take note. Adding a free e-book with information about joint pain recovery is a nice addition to this product (and likely needed to offset the substantial price compared to the rest of the market).
This glucosamine and chondroitin product is unusually high methylsulfonylmethane, which has links to reduced knee pain.
Who Should Buy Zenesis Labs Glucosamine Sulfate Chondroitin MSM
- Anyone who wants a very high dose of MSM per serving.
- Those who could find value in the free joint pain e-book included.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Zenesis Labs Glucosamine Sulfate Chondroitin MSM
- People who need to keep supplement costs down.
- Folks who are put off by a serving size of five capsules.
Want a high-MSM glucosamine supplement? You found it. You will have to reach deeper into your wallet, but judging from the short ingredient list and the lack of impurities, you will get what you pay for.
[Related: Nutrition For Bulking: 10 Tips For Intelligent Muscle Gain]
What Are the Benefits of Glucosamine and Chondroitin?
These are two separate ingredients: glucosamine, which is derived from shellfish and may slightly delay the progression of osteoarthritis and relieve pain, and chondroitin, a chemical found primarily in joint cartilage. (That’s two reasons why it isn’t vegan friendly.)
Some research indicates that this supplement may help to reduce pain and bone degradation caused by osteoarthritis. (3)(4) A study published in Drugs & Aging in 2007 concluded, “there is compelling evidence that glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate may interfere with the progression of (osteoarthritis).” (5) It seems that chondroitin is more closely linked with reducing joint swelling. Glucosamine helps with pain and interferes with osteoarthritis progression.
[Related: The Lifter’s Guide To Magnesium: What This Nutrient Does For Strength]
What To Consider Before Buying
Research puts effective doses at one to three grams of glucosamine combined with one to four grams of chondroitin. Typically, good supplements use between one and two grams of each. The most common side effect of glucosamine is flatulence.
There’s more evidence that glucosamine is effective than chondroitin if you’d rather save some cash. Glucosamine also has some links to reduced inflammation, so some people take it as a general health supplement. The evidence for this is currently a little limited, though.
[Related: IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros): Your Ultimate Guide To This Diet]
Hopefully, this gave you a good amount of information so you can choose the best glucosamine and chondroitin for your individual needs. Remember, it is always best to talk to a doctor before making any diet or supplement regimen changes.
- Susan J. Hewlings, Douglas S. Kalman. Curcumin: A Review of Its’ Effects on Human Health. 2017. Foods. doi:10.3390/foods6100092.
- Beneficial effects of hyaluronic acid. 2014. Advances In Food and Nutrition Research. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-800269-8.00009-9.
- Deal CL, et al. Nutraceuticals as therapeutic agents in osteoarthritis. The role of glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and collagen hydrolysate. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 1999 May;25(2):379-95.
- Black C, et al. The clinical effectiveness of glucosamine and chondroitin supplements in slowing or arresting progression of osteoarthritis of the knee: a systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technol Assess. 2009 Nov;13(52):1-148.
- Bruyere O, et al. Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate as therapeutic agents for knee and hip osteoarthritis. Drugs Aging. 2007;24(7):573-80.