Melatonin is the name of a hormone that regulates the body’s sleep-wake cycle. It’s produced by the brain’s pineal gland and the body’s secretion of it is sensitive to sunlight and disruptions in the body’s circadian rhythm, like jet lag and inconsistent bedtimes.
Sold as an inexpensive, over the counter supplement, supplementing melatonin can be helpful for people experiencing difficulty falling or staying asleep, although it should always be taken under the advice of a medical specialist. Here are the best picks for those deciding to take it.
Nature Made Melatonin Adult Gummies
These tasty gummies scored the highest ratings on Labdoor, a well regarded third party testing site that found them to contain precisely the amount of melatonin described. It also contains no artificial flavors or sweeteners, no preservatives, and it comes with a money back guarantee.
- The product achieved very high ratings from third party testers.
- This melatonin comes with a money back guarantee.
- The candies come in a tasty strawberry flavor.
- It contains no artificial ingredients.
- The gummies contain gelatin and beeswax, so they’re not vegan friendly.
- There are two grams of carbs per 2.5 milligrams of melatonin, so if sugar is considered a downside, this may not be the ideal product.
Tasty gummies that are well dosed and receive high marks from third party testers.
Puritans Pride Super Strength Rapid Release Capsules
Well ranked by third party testing site Labdoor, Puritan’s Pride Super Strength Rapid Release Capsules delivers a considerable 10 milligrams of melatonin per capsule, and it’s designed to digest quickly as well. It’s also made with no sugar, soy, what, or artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners.
- Puritan’s Pride receives high ratings from third party testers for label accuracy.
- Each pill delivers a very strong 10 milligrams of melatonin per serving.
- There are no artificial ingredients or soy or wheat.
- This is an extremely strong product, and as such may not be suitable for most consumers.
- The capsules are made from gelatin, so it’s not vegetarian friendly.
A potent melatonin with a good reputation from third party testers for purity and label accuracy.
Onnit Instant Melatonin Spray
Onnit has produced an innovative melatonin spray that includes lavender oil, which may help to induce restful sleep as well. Available in two different flavors, a 3-milligram dose is spread over 6 sprays, so it’s easy to adjust the dosage to your preference.
- The product is available in naturally flavored Lavender and Fresh Mint flavors.
- The six-spray dosage makes it easy to adjust the amount of melatonin consumed.
- Like most of Onnit’s products, it’s a little on the pricy side.
- The product isn’t straight melatonin and the ingredients include ethyl alcohol and glycerin, which some may prefer to avoid.
Available in two flavors, this melatonin spray also contains lavender oil to enhance its effects.
Natrol Liquid Melatonin
A good alternative for those who don’t like popping pills, this berry-flavored liquid delivers one milligram per droplet, making it easy to manage the dose. It also contains no artificial flavors or sweeteners and it’s free from all major allergens.
- Because it’s liquid, it absorbs very quickly.
- It’s easy to select the ideal dosage as each drop provides just one milligram of melatonin.
- The product is vegan friendly and free from all major allergens.
- Some aren’t a fan of the flavor, but it can be mixed with water or juice to lessen the effect.
- On a cost-per-gram-of-melatonin basis, this isn’t the most cost effective option.
A tasty liquid melatonin that absorbs quickly and contains no artificial flavors or sweeteners.
- In many countries, melatonin isn’t available over the counter — this is because it’s a pretty potent hormone, and side effects can include dizziness, nausea, and excessive sleepiness among others. For these and other reasons, it shouldn’t be taken without first speaking with a physician.
- Liquid melatonin appears to absorb more quickly than capsules.
- It’s generally recommended to take this one to two hours before bedtime.
- Experts vary in their recommendations for the ideal dose. It depends on the individual’s bodyweight and sensitivity, but it’s generally understood to be useful to start with a small dose — say, 0.5 milligrams — and gradually increase if the effects aren’t felt.
Of all the sleep aids on the market, melatonin is generally considered relatively safe and effective because it mimics the body’s natural hormones. The range of products above should be useful, but remember to speak with a physician before making any changes to your supplement routine.