Women’s basketball shorts should be comfortable, affordable, and customizable. Basketball shorts can be worn to play around on the court, but they also should be versatile and comfortable enough to wear for all kinds of activities. Shopping for women’s basketball shorts in particular can be tricky because there are several styles, lengths, and material options.
We kept playing basketball in mind with all of our selections, so we paid close attention to how these shorts feel to move in, sweat, and how durable they are. Now let’s jump into five of our favorite picks from the web. Please keep in mind that with all of these products the sizing and fit is very much a preference! We did our best to curate a list with lots of variety!
Starter Women’s 3” Mesh Short with Pockets
The Starter Women’s 3” Mesh Short come in seven colors, are affordable, and are designed with comfort and performance in mind. The shorts are made out of 100% polyester and are secured with an elastic closure. The product is made with breathable mesh, and unlike a lot of basketball shorts on the market these also have pockets.
- Price. These shorts are incredibly affordable, and the price doesn’t change depending on the color selected.
- Colors. There are seven options for colors! Choose between red, white, maroon, purple, green, blue, and light blue.
- Comfort. These shorts are comfortable and lightweight with the polyester and mesh blend.
- Length. These shorts do run on the shorter side for basketball shorts. While most shorts we reviewed are about 5” lengthwise, these are 3”.
- Pockets. These shorts on on-seam pockets. If looking for a pair of shorts without pockets, or just in-stream this could be something to consider.
The Starter Women’s 3” Mesh Short is offered in seven colors and is designed with comfort and performance in mind. The shorts are made out of 100% polyester and are secured with an elastic closure.
Champion Women’s Mesh Short
The Champion Women’s Mesh Short are offered in five colors, are made with a breathable mesh fabric, and are affordable. The simple design makes them a solid choice to wear for a basketball game, practice, or even just as an everyday option. The Champion logo is visible on the short, but it is small on the right corner.
- Colors. There is a good variety of color options with a dark green, black, navy, scarlet, and athletic royal.
- Price. These shorts are affordable even when selecting different sizes and colors.
- Waistband. The Champion logo is printed on the waistband, but it is only visible when it is rolled. This is a unique feature.
- Return. There is only free return on some sizes and colors.
- Sizing. Pay attention to the sizing, and don’t be afraid to go up a size if more length and coverage is the preferred.
The Champion Women's Mesh Short come in five colors, are made with a breathable mesh fabric, and are affordable.
NIKE Women’s Dry Attack 5” ~’Just Do It’ Training Shorts
Feel confident and look good on the basketball court in the NIKE Women’s Dry Attack 5” shorts. These training shorts are made out of 100% polyester, have an elastic closure and waistband with a built in drawstring for a secure and adjustable fit. These shorts have the logo “Just Do It” across the shorts on the front and back, making for a unique and noticeable design.
- Material. These shorts are made with polyester and the Dri-Fit material is comfortable, moisture-wicking, and ideal for moving through long and sweaty workouts.
- Closure. These are adjustable and secure thanks to an elastic closure/waistband and an interior drawstring.
- Design. These shorts are unique with the NIKE “Just Do It” logo on them.
- Colors. These shorts are offered in five colors/patterns. They come in salmon/sea coral, pink, binary blue, blue, and igloo. These are not basic color options!
- Price. Depending on the size and color selected, the price does vary.
The NIKE Women’s Dry Attack 5” shorts are made out of 100% polyester, have an elastic closure and waistband with a built in drawstring, and have the logo “Just Do It” across the shorts on the front and back.
Badger Mesh/Tricot 5” Shorts
When it comes to a pair of no-fuss, simple, and comfortable basketball shorts, the Badger Mesh/Tricot 5” Shorts are just that. These shorts come in 17 different colors, are affordable, and run a standard 5” length ideal for all kinds of movements on the basketball court.
- Design. These shorts have a simple design with a standard 5” length, athletic cut, an elastic waistband, and drawcord.
- Colors. This product comes in 17 different colors, including basic options like black, white, and grey, but also funkier options like purple, yellow, and orange.
- Closure. These shorts have a drawstring closure, and an elastic waistband and drawcord making them accessible and comfortable for almost anyone.
- Price. These shorts are affordable across the board, however the price does spike depending on size and certain colors.
- Return. There is only free return on certain sizes and colors.
The Badger Mesh/Tricot 5" Shorts are offered in 17 different colors, are affordable, and run a standard 5” length which makes them fit for all kinds of movements on the basketball court.
EttelLut Loose Athletic Basketball Boyfriend Knee Shorts
When it comes to comfort, accessibility, and quality the EttelLut Loose Athletic Basketball Boyfriend Knee Shorts are a solid option. This product is affordable, comfortable thanks to its natural loose fit/pull-on closure, and has a basic, no-fuss appearance. This product is offered in three different colors: Black, navy, and charcoal.
- Price. These shorts are incredibly affordable, and stay very close in pricing across all of the colors and sizing.
- Fit. These shorts are designed to fit every body. They have a drawstring that makes all of the sizes adjustable and customizable.
- Material. They are made from 100% polyester so are soft, comfortable, and light-weight.
- Variety. While the colors will fit any basic needs and wants, there aren’t any other options besides black, charcoal, and navy.
- Length. These shorts are designed to be knee-length, so if looking for something shorter or longer this is something to be mindful of because this product was made to fit at knee-length.
The EttelLut Loose Athletic Basketball Boyfriend Knee Shorts are affordable, comfortable, and have a basic, no-fuss appearance with three different color options.
How We Picked
Our methodology for choosing these five women’s basketball shorts included looking at different styles, cuts, and materials. We looked for shorts that were not only affordable, but also used durable and comfortable materials that can support all kinds of movements in a basketball game. We also kept in mind that basketball shorts have a lot to do with preference, so we did our best to select shorts with different lengths and designs. With that being said, here is how we selected.
- Material. We looked for women’s basketball shorts that were either all polyester or some sort of blend. We also selected several options that were made out of mesh. Mesh is a great material when it comes to moisture-wicking.
- Closure. All of the women’s shorts that we chose had some sort of adjustable and customizable closure. We looked for elastic waistbands that also had either interior or exterior drawcords.
- Performance. We selected shorts that were designed for performance. That means all of the shorts were made to run, jump, lunge, and handle all kinds of athletic movements.
- Length. The length of women’s basketball shorts is very much a preference thing, however we did our best to find shorts that were offered in different lengths. In general we looked for instream lengths from three to five inches.
- Appearance. We chose shorts that came in several different colors and designs. We tried to curate a list that included some basic and solid colors, but also funkier and brighter palettes as well.
- Price. We chose shorts that never compromised quality for a price. We found products that were affordable and designed with top quality materials.
When searching for the best women’s basketball shorts, here are a few tips we’d recommend.
- Move. The best way to know what style and length you like is to try out as many women’s basketball shorts as possible. Figure out if you want shorts that hit at the knees, or shorter.
- Price. With most sportswear, it is easy to spend a fortune if you’re not careful, so we recommend setting a price point for yourself before you start shopping. There are a lot of brands that offer great quality products that are easily overlooked at first glance.
- Sweat. Chances are if you’re buying basketball shorts, you are preparing for a sweat session! Make sure to pick shorts that are moisture-wicking and durable in hotter temperatures.
- Lining. This is very much based on preference, but not all basketball shorts have a liner or built-in underwear. Pay attention to product descriptions to make sure you’re getting shorts that are the most comfortable for you.
- Color. The white basketball shorts may look nice online, but make sure that there are liners if this is the color you’re going with! Sometimes the polyester and mesh white basketball shorts are see-through.
Now that we’ve gone through five of our favorite women’s basketball shorts on the web, we hope you are feeling ready for the big game! Again, please keep in mind that not all sizes and lengths fit all, so we hope our list shows a variety of options to help you find the right pair.