|December 20, 2021||Read in Browser|
Hello! Welcome to the Monday edition of BarBend’s newsletter.
Over the weekend, CrossFit fans got to relish in the return of the Dubai CrossFit Championship.
Mattie Rogers might have a new, shiny silver ornament on her Christmas tree this year.
And as we head into the new year, two of our own share some of BarBend’s best strength stories of 2021.
Here’s what you should know about strong people today.
KHRENNIKOV AND HORVATH WIN THE DUBAI CROSSFIT CHAMPIONSHIP
CrossFit fans were treated to early holiday offerings in the form of the 2021 Dubai CrossFit Championships.
Forty of the world’s elite fitness athletes gathered in the United Arab Emirates last weekend vying for the podium of one of the bigger international competitions in the sport.
By the end of the final day of competition, Roman Khrennikov and Laura Horvath emerged victorious in their respective divisions.
Lazar Đukić and Ricky Gerard rounded out the top three on the men’s side while Kristin Holte and Gabriela Migała took silver and bronze, respectively, for the women.
MATTIE ROGERS TAKES SILVER
Just one day after Meredith Alwine became Team USA’s first World Champion at the 2021 International Weightlifting Federation World Championships in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, 76 kg athlete Mattie Rogers continued the streak.
Rogers hit a 107 kg/235.8 lb snatch, a 136kg /299.8 lb clean & jerk, and totaled 243 kg /535.7 lbs.
Her performance earned three medals — bronze in the snatch, silver in the clean & jerk, and silver overall.
2021'S BIGGEST STRENGTH STORIES
As 2021 comes to a close, BarBend’s Managing Editor Andrew Gutman and Senior Writer Phil Blechman got together to share some of their favorite stories from the year.
They shared their favorite strength stories, feats, records, and competitions of 2021, and look ahead at the big stories to come in 2022.
Did we include any of your favorites?
WHAT'S NEW IN STRENGTH?
- Looking for the best new kettlebell strength circuit for the new year? Here you go.
- Hoping to end 2022 with arms the size of Nick Walker’s? You better get started ASAP.
- Medals, so many medals. Here are the full results from the 2021 IWF World Championships.
- If you want to stay strong and flexy, then we have the five best mobility workouts for you.
- Amanda Kohatsu earned the title 2021 Figure Overall Champion last weekend at the NPC National Championship in Orland, FL.
- Congratulations to CrossFit athletes Dan Bailey and Alexandra LaChance on their recent engagement.