x

Get Stronger in 3 minutes (or less)

World records, results, training, nutrition, breaking news, and more. Join the BarBend Newsletter for everything you need to get stronger. Join the BarBend Newsletter for workouts, diets, breaking news and more.
BarBend Newsletter

Qualified Athletes For 2020 Olympic Games Will Keep Their Spots In 2021

The IOC said 57% of the 11,000 spots available have been secured and the remaining 43% remain up for grabs.

The 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, originally scheduled for July 24th through August 9th, were officially postponed on March 24th. There was a lot of speculation as to whether or not the Games would be outright canceled due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, which had caused many other major weightlifting competitions to cancel or postpone.

The official postponement of the Olympic Games came after countries started pulling their athletes from the Olympics themselves or threatening to do so  if the International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided not to take the preventative measure of postponing or canceling the Games.

Once officials confirmed that the Olympic Games would not be held until 2021, it was uncertain what that meant for athletes who were already qualified. After having to cope with the news that the Olympics would be postponed for the first time ever,  it would be all the more devastating if their spots in the Games would also be put in jeopardy.

Qualified athletes can now breathe a little easier as the IOC announced on Friday that athletes who qualified for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games will maintain their spots for the 2021 Olympic Games.

View this post on Instagram

Tokyo Olympics postponed to 2021

A post shared by Knowledge Trivia (@knowledgetrivia) on

In addition to confirming that athletes would maintain their spots for the 2021 Olympic Games, the IOC also confirmed that there would not be any additional spots added or taken away. That means that the 57% percent of athletes who have already qualified are a lock for the Games, and countries will still have the opportunity to fill the vacancies left in the outstanding 43% — relieving news for the athletes who were unable to qualify for the Olympics because so many of their qualifying events were getting canceled because of the pandemic.

View this post on Instagram

“postponed” (The New National Stadium has been rebuilt but will now wait for another year to welcome the olympic athletes. Funded nearly entirely from the tax-payers’ money, the Japanese authorities more than tripled the original $7.3B olympic budget! The IOC has paid just a tiny portion, and I wonder if they’ll step up now when an estimated additional $3B is needed. For a nation in a decades long recession and rapidly aging population, this is all less than ideal. A few months ago, there was a minor uproar after the IOC moved the marathon and race-walking up north to Sapporo. That was to cost additional, and now utterly insignificant, $350M. Needless to say, granting summer Olympic Games to a city with arguably the most oppressive summer weather is questionable at best. After being at home for a week, I went for a walk last night and took this picture. I used slow shutter to capture the car lights. #tokyoolympics2021 #tokyoolympics #tokyoolympicstadium #tokyonationalstadium #ioc #iocpayyourshare #overbudget #tokyo #japan

A post shared by rs (@radimku) on

While we know they’ll still be in Tokyo, the new date for the Olympic Games has not yet been set. According to the joint statement between the IOC and the Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee:

“…the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo must be rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but not later than summer 2021.”

Feature image from Knowledge Trivia’s Instagram page: @knowledgetrivia

Leave a Comment