The biggest advantage to a WiFi or Bluetooth enabled smart scale is that your weigh-ins are automatically recorded via a phone app. For those with weight management goals, this long term information may be very valuable in discovering trends and keeping track of progress. Instead of writing your weight down in a journal everyday, or relying on memory, a smart scale is able to record all of that information for you, and typically present it in easily readable charts and graphs.
There’s a wide range of scales available on the market. While all record weight, some will attempt to also measure other stats, like BMI, body fat percentage, and even hydration levels. Depending on your specific dietary goals, this information may be useful. Of course, before embarking on any grand weight management journey, it’s wise to consult a medical professional on how to lose or gain weight safely. We took a look at some of the most popular smart scales on the market and gave our top picks.
Syncs with compatible tech.
- Track multiple metrics including: Body Weight, BMI, Body Fat Percentage, Fat-Free Body Weight, Muscle Mass, Bone Mass, and others which are featured in the app.
- No on and off button, simply step on for readings to display.
- Up to date app syncs with multiple top fitness and tracking apps.
- Metrics may be consistently accurate.
- May not be compatible with all apps.
This scale provides a great up to date app that tracks handfuls of metrics and syncs with other popular fitness apps.
Ease of Use
Simple and easy to understand app.
- Multiple metrics include: Body weight, Body Fat, Water, Muscle Mass, BMI, BMR, Bone Mass and Visceral Fat.
- Easily turns on upon touch, so you don’t have to tap and wait for the scale to turn on.
- Free app tracks daily metrics to create seamless daily, weekly, and monthly progress tracking.
- Cost efficient price for every type of fitness and health enthusiast.
- Metrics may not be the most accurate, but can provide a baseline.
- Will have access to any data provided to synced apps.
This scale provides a variety of metrics to help you understand your body and it has an app to make tracking metrics easy.
Data for the whole family.
- Capable of tracking 12 measurements including: weight, body fat percentage, BMI, and muscle mass.
- Connects via Bluetooth to EufyLife app, which seamlessly tracks data from each weigh-in. Data can also sync with popular 3rd party apps.
- Scale is equipped to track up to 16 unique users, and designed to identify each user automatically.
- From a price standpoint, this is one of the most competitively priced items on the market.
- Need to open app on phone before stepping on the scale in order to record data.
- Body fat percentage readings may have a margin of error.
This is a competitively priced smart scale with the ability to track 12 different measurements, including body weight, BMI, and body fat percentage. It is able to store and maintain data on up to 16 different users by connecting to the corresponding app during each weigh-in.
High manufacturing standards.
- Measures weight, BMI, body fat, lean mass, water weights and bone mass.
- Syncs data over WiFi to its own app and to all popular third party fitness apps.
- Claims to only work with manufacturers who uphold international worker rights standards.
- With each purchase, manufacturer donates to Love146, a charity that works to fight child trafficking.
- From a price standpoint, this is a bit more expensive than some of the competing smart scales on the market.
- A number of folks reported that the app was a bit unreliable.
This scale offers connectivity to smart phone apps via WiFi. With the ability to sync data to all popular fitness apps, this scale is a great option for anyone looking to keep track of their weight over the long haul.
- Records 13 measurements per weigh-in, including weight, BMI, and body fat percentage.
- Capable of storing data for an unlimited amount of users.
- Data syncs via Bluetooth connection to RENPHO’s app or to a number of 3rd party fitness apps.
- Very competitively priced.
- Upper capacity of only 396 pounds.
- Weight readings susceptible to a margin of error.
Available at a competitive price point, this scale records 13 measurements for an unlimited amount of users. This scale syncs information to its own phone app, and can also sync to popular 3rd party apps.
Good For Sharing
Practical and user friendly.
- Syncs via Bluetooth to a smartphone app. That data is then easily transferred to other popular fitness apps.
- Scale is capable of tracking data for up to 16 unique users.
- Measures 10 stats, including weight, body fat, muscle rate, and BMI.
- Operates on four AAA batteries.
- A bit more expensive than some of the competitors.
- App needs to be running on your phone in order for readings to be recorded accurately.
This scale is capable of measuring 10 stats. It is a solid option for folks looking for a scale that syncs with fitness apps. This Bluetooth enabled scale runs on four AAA batteries.
- Etekcity’s smart scale uses Bluetooth technology to connect the scale’s readings to a phone app.
- Measuring 11.8” by 11.8”, this scale is a bit bigger than many other competitors, giving some extra real estate for those with big feet.
- Records 13 different body measurements.
- Very competitively priced.
- Possible to weigh yourself without phone handy; scale will save data and sync up with phone next time they’re connected.
- Several noted that the app is a bit clunky to operate.
Those looking for a little extra real estate on their smart scale may consider the this scale. Measuring 11.8” by 11.8,” this scale is built for folks with larger feet to stand comfortably.
Smart scales may be great for those looking to passively track their weight over a long period of time. Most smart scales are paired to a phone app that automatically record your weight, saving you the time and effort it takes to record that data manually. When deciding which scale to get, however, there are a few key features to consider.
Compatibility with Fitness Apps
Some people rely on their phone’s native health app to track all things fitness. If this is important to you, make sure you find a scale and app that’s compatible with your fitness app of choice.
Most smart scales connect to cell phone apps via Bluetooth or WiFi. While Bluetooth tech may be a bit easier to set up, having your scale connected to the same WiFi network as your phone may make syncing a bit more seamless.
Not Suitable for Those Who Are Pregnant
Due to the bioelectric impedance analysis technology used by most smart scales, these are not suitable for those who are pregnant. Same goes for those with electrical devices in their body, such as pacemakers.
This comes down to personal preference. Most modern scales offer a sleek design with LED displays. The biggest difference is probably the color, with the most popular options being black, white, or clear. However, consider some of the finer details. Are the corners rounded or not? How big is the display? Does it beep every time you use it?
Number of Users
Some smart scales offer the ability for multiple users to track their data concurrently. If you plan on sharing the scale with housemates or family, this may be a feature worth utilizing.
- Before setting out to accomplish any weight management goals, it’s wise to consult a medical professional on your diet and exercise routine.
- To get the most accurate readings over time, you’ll want to be completely dry and weigh yourself at the same time everyday.
Smart scales may be a convenient and easy way to keep track of your weight management goals. Before clicking purchase, make sure you’ve selected a scale that meets your particular needs.