In the gym, there are few things that can provide as much grip security on equipment as fast as chalk can. Chalk is designed to enhance grip security on multiple type of surfaces in the gym and is commonly used during long workout sessions or during heavy workouts. Generally, lifters will use chalk to enhance grip security on barbells and dumbbells, or other pieces of metal equipment.
The only problem with the use of chalk is that not every gym allows it on the floor. Chalk can be very messy at times, so we’ve went through multiple top chalk options on the market and picked our favorites for a variety of needs.
Liquid Fit Chalk
- Great for travel
- Can be used in multiple settings with limited mess
- Clip for easy storage and plastic case is durable
- Not the best for activities like rock climbing
The Liquid Fit Chalk is the perfect option for lifters that want a convenient liquid chalk to travel with and use in every setting.
Best Liquid Chalk
SPORTMEDIQ Pro Grade Liquid Chalk
- Ample chalk will last for multiple sessions
- High-grade chalk for a variety of activities
- Convenient plastic bottle for ease of use
- Might not be the best option for bringing along when traveling
SPORTMEDIQ Pro Grade Liquid Chalk is a great option for lifters that want a liquid chalk that is going to last them a long duration of time.
Best for Everything
321 STRONG Refillable Chalk Ball
- Great for the gym, rock climbing, and other activities
- Resealable drawstring cotton bag
- Chalk flows well through bag to the hands and other surfaces
- Not ideal for gym and spaces that limit chalk use
The 321 STRONG Refillable Chalk Ball is fantastic option for nearly any activity that requires chalk and for environment that permits its use.
Best for Home Gyms
BRYO Chalk Ball
- Convenient drawstring carrying bag limits messes.
- 3 oz. chalk ball is easy to carry in most gym bags.
- Chalk ball has drawstrings for reusability.
- May be too messy for some gym that limit traditional chalk.
The BRYO Chalk Ball is the perfect option for home gym users that want a traditional chalk with a respective carrying bag to prevent messes.
Gibson Athletic Premium Block Gym Chalk
- Comes with plenty of chalk in the form of eight 2 oz. blocks
- Provides security and works on a variety of equipment
- Great for putting into chalk bowls for multiple lifters
- May be too messy for some gyms
The Gibson Athletic Premium Block Gym Chalk is the perfect chalk for those who lift in a home gym or need to stock up a gym with multiple attendees.
When it comes to selecting the best type of chalk, it’s not so much about what it’s made out of as they’re all the same generally, but more so the convenience of the chalk type and matching your needs.
Convenience and Mess
All of the chalks in this list are made out of magnesium-carbonate, which is standard for lifting chalks. This type of chalk [lifting] breaks apart easier than your standard chalkboard chalk and sits in the ridges of the hands better for additional grip security.
For the sake of this round-up, we compared how messy chalks were when compared with one another. We assessed things like transportability and overall mess when deciding which talks would be better for certain demographics. If you train in a gym that does not permit the use of traditional chalk, then a liquid chalk is often the best bet. Granted, you’ll still have to be mindful of its use to avoid making a mess.
Another factor we considered besides how easy the chalk could be transported is the size and preferred use of the product. So larger quantities or blocks would be better for public gym, home gyms, and multiple lifters that need chalk regularly compared to a smaller chalk ball or liquid chalk that would run out quickly.
Lifting chalk is a great tool for promoting overall grip security on lifting equipment. Before investing in chalk, it’s a good idea to first ensure your gym allows the use of chalk, then make a decision from there!