Today we’re talking to Coss Marte, the founder and CEO of CONBODY, a prison fitness-style boot camp offering in-person and virtual classes based out of NYC. Coss developed the idea of CONBODY based on his own experiences in prison, where he turned to fitness after becoming overweight and at a high risk for cardiac problems. Since founding CONBODY, Coss has hired over 40 formerly incarcerated individuals as trainers, and he’s also become an advocate for prison reform and former inmates looking to build new lives. We talk about Coss’ inspiration for CONBODY while in solitary confinement, what to expect from their high-intensity workouts, and much, much more.
We want to take a second to give a special shoutout to our episode sponsor, Transparent Labs. If you want clean, clearly labeled supplements with ingredients backed by science, Transparent Labs has you covered. (Seriously, no hidden ingredients, no proprietary blends, and nothing artificial.) That includes their uber-popular BULK pre-workout, with ingredients we love to see for focus and energy PLUS vitamin D3, boron, and zinc. All the good stuff, absolutely no fillers. Use code “BARBEND” at checkout for an extra 10% off your order.
On this episode of The BarBend Podcast, host David Thomas Tao talks to Coss Marte about:
- The inspiration for Coss’ fitness journey in prison (2:40)
- Working out with other prisoners in the yard (5:20)
- Access to fitness equipment in the prison system (9:05)
- How CONBODY’s prison-style workouts are taking off during quarantine (11:50)
- Doing 1,200 burpees a day (14:15)
- How CONBODY recruits former inmates and trains them to teach classes (17:03)
- The reactions after taking a first CONBODY class (20:15)
- The prison-style fitness challenge you can try today (22:45)
Learn more about our sponsor Transparent Labs and get 10% off your order with code “BARBEND.” (We may receive commissions on items purchased through links on this page.)
Like many Transparent Labs products, it's an extraordinarily well dosed pre workout supplement for endurance, power, and focus. Use code BARBEND10 to save 10%.
Relevant links and further reading: