Newsletter Editor, BarBend (Note: Position Closed/Filled)
BarBend Inc, the world’s largest independent strength training and strength sports media company, is seeking an Editor for our Newsletter vertical. The Newsletter Editor will work closely with our editorial team to edit, optimize, and grow our existing newsletter offerings (currently two weekly newsletters, one with ~10,000 existing subscribers and the other with ~135,000). This role will include components of editing, cohort and A/B testing, and project management, liaising with writers and designers in order to create increasingly optimized and interactive newsletter content.
The Newsletter Editor will also be responsible for the expansion of on-site content production focused on converting readers to newsletter subscribers; this will start with our bodybuilding vertical and eventually expand to other strength sport verticals as they launch. In this role, the Editor will be encouraged to explore a variety of avenues for newsletter growth through social media, partnerships, and paid acquisition.
The Editor will lead the launch and growth strategy for between two and three new weekly or twice-weekly newsletters to launch in the next 12-18 months. They will also work with our Sponsored Content team to serve and optimize in-newsletter content for our brand partners. (Note that this is not a sales position.) This role will work closely with and report to our Editor-in-Chief, President, and CEO.
Please see full application requirements and instructions below.
Head of Growth (Newsletters) Responsibilities:
- Edit, optimize, and test regular newsletter editions across several strength-related verticals (currently general strength sports and bodybuilding)
- Recruit and manage new contributors for related content verticals and on-site content focused on subscriber growth
- Grow existing and new newsletter subscriber bases through BarBend’s existing content platforms in addition to partnerships, paid, and social acquisition
- Regularly report on key newsletter metrics, including subscriber growth and attrition, open rate, and click-through rate.
- Ideate and plan new design and interactive elements for all BarBend Inc newsletters
- Work with our editorial team to identify opportunities for content bespoke to the various BarBend Inc newsletter properties
- Optimize newsletter-specific sponsored content for brand partners with our Sponsored Content team
- Maintain existing and build new relationships with athletes, influencers, sports governing bodies, and PR professionals in and around the strength sports space
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong written and editorial skills
- 1 year minimum experience in newsletter writing, editing, design, distribution and/or strategy
- 1-2 years minimum experience managing other team members
- 1-2 years minimum experience in cross-publication or cross-brand content partnerships
- Experience optimizing newsletter content for open and click-through rates. You don’t need specific experience with strength training and strength sports, but you should be eager to learn about the space and to communicate effectively with our editorial team.
- Enthusiasm for the fitness & wellness industry is a plus
- Knowledge of basic SEO best practices
- Ability to communicate effectively across multiple content teams
- Experience with one or more basic newsletter CMS
- Full time, with health insurance benefits
- Paid vacation
- BarBend has a remote-first work environment for candidates based in the U.S.
- Competitive pay
Email a resume and full cover letter, along with any relevant clips or examples of your work, to [email protected]
Please include “Newsletter Editor Application” in your subject line.
Founded in 2016, BarBend.com is the leading online outlet for strength sports news, analysis, training, opinion, product reviews, and more. Reaching approximately 4 million readers per month around the world (and growing), we produce high-quality written, video, and audio (podcast) content on all things strength. BarBend is the Official Media Partner of USA Weightlifting. In 2021, BarBend Inc acquired BreakingMuscle.com, which we now run as two separate editorial entities.
BarBend is an equal opportunity employer. We actively highlight diverse perspectives, experiences, and accomplishments in strength training and sport. People of all backgrounds, including educational backgrounds, are encouraged to apply.