Powerlifter. Coach. Vlogger. Movie star? Bryce Krawczyk’s journey in strength started with his desire to bulk up, and it’s led him down a pretty incredible path. In this episode, Bryce Krawczyk shares his evolution from complete beginner to world record holding powerlifter and documentary subject in a groundbreaking film. Now a renowned coach and the face behind Calgary Barbell, Bryce is one of Canada’s top lifters and ambassadors in strength. It’s a journey he hopes will eventually take him to the World Games, a competition Bryce calls the “pinnacle” of powerlifting for athletes around the globe.
Bryce and host David Tao also dive deep on misconceptions around the sport of powerlifting — especially when it comes to raw vs. equipped lifting — and why Canadian powerlifters have some of the best nicknames in the sport.
They also discuss the inspiration behind Bryce’s popular “So You Want to Be a Powerlifter?” video series and Bryce’s best advice for making the most of your first competition experience.
In this episode of The BarBend Podcast, guest Bryce Krawczyk and host David Thomas Tao discuss:
- Bryce’s history in powerlifting and growth from beginner to world record holder (2:34)
- How Bryce fell in love with competing in the sport — and how he bounced back from his first-ever bomb out (5:50)
- Bryce’s first experience with equipped powerlifting and how he’s used that version of the sport to train with and around injury (8:50)
- The most common misconception about equipped lifting (SPOILER: It’s not easy!) (11:33)
- His foray into strength content creation and the growth of Calgary Barbell’s amazing YouTube channel (seriously, check it out!) (13:36)
- Bryce’s advice for first-time powerlifting competitors — and why you should be SOCIAL at powerlifting meets (19:18)
- “The Powerlifter” documentary and how Bryce ended up in a starring role (23:58)
- Would Bryce do ANOTHER documentary? (27:13)
- Bryce’s preparation for the World Games and what it means for the future of his powerlifting career (29:20)
Relevant links and further reading: