The 2023 HYROX European Championships occurred on Jan. 22, 2023, in Maastricht, Netherlands. It is one of the three races the elite division’s season is structured around — the other two are the 2023 North American Championships scheduled for Feb. 11, 2023, in Chicago, IL, and the 2023 World Championships.
Each of these elite races is an invite-only competition. Those invites are earned by athletes who score one of the 15 fastest races times across the season — invites are passed to the next fastest qualifying time if an invite is declined.
The first of those three championships saw Alexander Roncevic and Lauren Weeks win their respective divisions.
2023 HYROX European Championships Results
Below are the top 10 athletes in the male and female elite divisions.
- Alexander Roncevic (AUT) — 57:26
- Tim Wenisch (GER) — 58:11
- Michael Sandbach (GBR) — 58:44
- Tobias Lautwein (GER) — 59:04
- Florian Gast (GER) — 1:00:02
- Tom Hogan (IRL) — 1:00:12
- Joffrey Voisin (FRA) — 1:00:18
- David Magida (USA) — 1:00:47
- Jonathon Wynn (AUS) — 1:00:51
- Tiago Lousa (POR) — 1:01:00
Roncevic’s time placed him third on the all-time ranking. Only Hunter McIntyre‘s time of 55:09 at 2022 Dallas and Tobias Lautwein’s 56:52 time from 2022 Maastricht were faster.
- Lauren Weeks (USA) — 1:01:12
- Mikaela Norman (SWE) — 1:02:45
- Megan Jacoby (USA) — 1:03:12
- Alandra Greenlee (USA) — 1:03:42
- Mirjam Von Rohr (SUI) — 1:03:44
- Viola Oberländer (GER) — 1:04:58
- Terra Jackson (USA) —1:05:52
- Jacqueline Lippenmeyer (GER) — 1:05:54
- Janne Thomsen (GER) — 1:07:19
- Rebecca Mason (GBR) — 1:07:37
This was the first major HYROX competition victory for Roncevic. It was a continued dominance from Weeks, who previously won the 2022 North American Championships, the 2021 World Championships, and the 2021 Virtual Championships.
Weeks’ time in Maastricht placed her second overall on the all-time ranking. Her time of 1:01:12 is faster than all but one athlete’s time in HYROX history: Mikaela Norman‘s 2022 Hamburg record time of 1:00:45.
[Related: Hybrid Athlete Fergus Crawley Performs “Double Brutal” 289-Mile Triathlon]
In the caption of Weeks’ Instagram post recapping her performance at the 2023 European Championships, she wrote, “I far exceeded my own expectations of myself. I made changes and adjustments to my training starting just before the LA race. I’ve seen some unexpected progress in some areas, yet still many areas that can use work.”
We’ll see if she can carry that momentum to the 2023 North American Championships in Chicago, IL, on Feb. 11, 2023.
Featured image: @lauren_e_weeks on Instagram