Resistance bands with bar attachments usually consist of one or more resistance bands that attach to a bar or bow that can then be used similarly to a barbell. The resistance range offered by each product varies, but most are adjustable or include multiple resistance bands that can be interchanged for the desired resistance.
They are great for athletes who prefer or need to workout in a confined space, at home, or while traveling. Let’s sift through the market and find the best option out there for you.
Gorilla Bow Portable Home Gym Resistance Bands and Bar System
- Curvature of the bow shaped bar can allow for a more natural positioning of the wrists when training.
- A push button lock system can make for easier assembly.
- Claw attachments at each end of the bar allow athletes to increase or decrease resistance by swapping out resistance bands as needed.
- Paint on the bar can be prone to chipping during training.
- Only two resistance bands can be used at a time.
- At the expensive end of the market.
The Gorilla Bow Portable Home Gym Resistance Bands and Bar System come in three different options: lite, travel, and original. The original comes with four resistance bands that total 110lbs worth of resistance and a bar that is 1 inch in diameter and 56 inches long.
Tikaton Resistance Bar Portable Home Gym
- The bar hooks swivel to allow for better ease of motion.
- Includes a user manual with exercise explanations with photos.
- Resistance band designed with snap protection for additional safety.
- More initial assembly required than many comparable options.
- The bar hooks may not be compatible with resistance bands wider than 2 inches.
- On the more expensive end of the market.
Tikaton Resistance Bar Portable Home Gym is a 1.38 inch wide latex resistance band that attaches to a 21.65 inch long steel alloy bar and offers up to 40lbs of resistance. A box is included to make for easier travel.
OYO Personal Gym Full Body Portable Gym Equipment Set
- SpiraFlex resistance technology may lead to more durability.
- Excercise demonstration guide and video included.
- Ergonomic handles can offer a higher variety of grips for multiple exercises.
- Uses built in cables and weights that are maxed out at 25lb of resistance rather than resistance bands.
- Unlikely to enable effective resistance for lower body movements.
- The basic package does not include any accessories such as door or floor anchors.
The OYO Personal Gym Full Body Portable Gym Equipment Set is a flexible bow made of heavy duty polymer that utilizes nylon coated stainless steel cables. It includes FlexPack weight plates (one 5lb, two 10lb) to allow athletes to train in a confined space.
Best for Beginners
Bodygym Core System Portable Home Gym Resistance Trainer All-in-One Band
- Exercises are pictured on the bar itself which might make it easier to design workouts.
- Includes a padded tube that wraps around the center of the resistance band to allow for more comfortable pushing movements.
- Includes a tape measure, training manual, and exercise guide.
- The stickers used to display exercises on the bar may peel over time.
- May be more difficult for shorter athletes to incorporate heavier resistance.
- Durability may be less than many competitive options.
The Bodygym Core System Portable Home Gym Resistance Trainer All-in-One Band is an adjustable latex resistance band. It comes with a snap-together bar attachment that enables athletes to perform full body and isometric movements.
Fusion Motion Portable Gym
- Fabric sheath covers each resistance band for added durability and snap protection.
- Includes a travel bag and box to make for easier travel.
- The accompanying guide details over two hundred exercises.
- Door anchor may stretch unevenly.
- The base may require a stance too narrow for larger athletes.
- Resistance bands may pop out of the locks during faster movements.
The Fusion Motion Portable Gym includes eight different accessories including four resistance bands, a base, a door anchor, a pair each of dynamic handles, static handles, and pulse handles, a core wheel, and a bar. The bar and base are made with reinforced steel.
For many athletes, acquiring a resistance band with a bar attachment will be to replicate exercises that could be done in a gym. Therefore, having resistance bands that offer enough resistance is likely to be a key factor when deciding which product is right for them.
There is no standard resistance for bands across the market, but nearly all products will list the resistance they offer and how adjustable that is. Some bars can support multiple bands to offer enough resistance upwards of 400lb. Other bars will have a cap determined by the heaviest resistance their particular bands offer.
Nearly every bar with resistance bands on the market has particular attachments at each end — usually a type of lock or clasp mechanism. Certain bars with those features will often only be compatible with the resistance bands that are specifically included with them. However, some have hooks or something similar that may be able to support additional resistance bands.
If you recognize that you are likely to want to increase the amount of resistance to more than what a given product offers, then it may be to your advantage to seek a bar that has hook attachments that can support additional bands so as to achieve your desired resistance level.
A good resistance band with bar attachment might be able to do a good impression of a full at home gym. They can enable an athlete to do many exercises that would otherwise be unavailable without access to a gym.