The European Powerlifting Federation (EPF) 2023 European Classic Junior Championships will be held in Budapest, Hungary, from Oct. 10-17, 2023. In total, 345 young athletes will lift for medals, titles, and records, showcasing the future of the sport.
The EPF introduced classic championships for the first time in 2015, combining the Sub-Junior, Junior, and Open categories. That first event featured 307 lifters. The roster grew each year, culminating in 557 participants in 2022. The categories are now split, with the Sub-Juniors and Juniors lifting together and the Open categories having their own contest.
The Sub-Junior lifters compete on the first three days of the contest. The baton is then passed to the Juniors, who fill out the remaining five days. A mammoth event that will be streamed in its entirety on the European Powerlifting YouTube Channel.
The 2023 IPF World Junior Championships was a scant six weeks earlier, so many of these young lifters will have recently given all-out performances on that stage. Hopefully, youth speeds recovery and the proximity of the competitions won’t hinder the realization of their goals.
Athletes to Watch
Below are athletes to watch regarding potential records and podium finishes:
- Demir Hamza | Sub-Junior, 105KG — best Sub-Junior lifter at 2023 IPF Junior Worlds
- Nonso Chinye | Sub-Junior, 120KG — biggest Sub-Junior deadlift and total in IPF
- Temur Samkharadze | Junior, +120KG – silver medallist at Open worlds
- Juuli Kostian | Sub-Junior, 63KG — squat & bench Sub-Junior world record holder
- Ludivine Delos | Junior, 63KG — squat Junior world record holder
Full Livestream Schedule
Author’s Note: All times CET; Schedule is subject to change.
Tuesday, October 10 — Sub-juniors
- Women 52KG & 57KG — 9:00 a.m.
- Opening Ceremony — 1:00 p.m.
- Men up to 66KG — 2:00 p.m.
- Men 74KG — 6:00 p.m
Wednesday, October 11 — Sub-juniors
- Men 83KG & 93KG ‘B’ groups — 9:00 a.m.
- Women 63KG, 76KG — 1:00 p.m.
- Men 83KG & 93KG ‘B’ groups — 6:00 p.m
Thursday, October 12 — Sub-juniors
- Women 43KG, 47KG, 84KG, & +84KG — 10:00 a.m.
- Men 105KG and above — 2:30 p.m.
Friday, October 13 — Juniors
- Women 57KG — 9:00 a.m.
- Men up to 66KG — 1:00 p.m.
- Men 74KG — 5:00 p.m
Saturday, October 14 — Juniors
- Women 52KG — 9:00 a.m.
- Men 83KG — 12:30 p.m.
- Women 63KG — 6:00 p.m
Sunday, October 15 — Juniors
- Women 43KG, 47KG & 69KG ‘B’ Group — 9:00 a.m.
- Men 93KG — 1:00 p.m.
- Women 69KG ‘A’ Group — 6:00 p.m
Monday, October 16 — Juniors
- Women 76KG — 10:00 a.m.
- Men 105KG — 2:00 p.m.
Sunday, October 17 — Juniors
- Women 84KG & +84KG — 10:00 a.m.
- Men 120KG and above — 1:30 p.m.
The full roster with nominated totals is available on Goodlift.
Feature image from @the_epf Instagram page.