Shopping for a water bottle can be packed with decisions. Do you want a squeeze bottle or a flip-top? One is easier for quick sips on short breaks during a basketball or soccer game, but the other might be better at keeping water cold. While it may be easy to grab bottled water out of a vending machine, getting a reusable water bottle can save money, be more reliable when a vending machine isn’t available, and ensure the water tastes fresh.
There are a few factors that the top-tier water bottles on the market have to separate themselves from the rest of the field. Finding a water bottle that is easy to drink, durable, and aesthetically pleasing while attached to your gym bag is important. So which water bottle is best for you? Check out some of our top picks below:
Best Water Bottles
- Best Water Bottle: Hydro Flask 32 oz Water Bottle
- Best Water Bottle for Sports: Embrava Best Sports Water Bottle
- Best Value Water Bottle: Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth BPA-Free Water Bottle
- Best Flip Top Water Bottle: Opard 30oz Sports Water Bottle
- Best Squeeze Water Bottle: Adidas Stadium 750 ML (26oz) Plastic Water Bottle
Editor’s note: The content on BarBend is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as medical advice. The opinions and articles on this site are not intended to diagnose, prevent, and/or treat health problems. It’s always a good idea to talk to your doctor before beginning a new fitness, nutritional, and/or supplement routine. Individual needs for vitamins and minerals will vary.
Best Water Bottle
This wide-mouth flex cap water bottle can hold up to 32 ounces of liquid and is made with stainless steel to prevent altering the contained liquid’s flavor. When filled, it weighs three pounds. It can be used for either hot or cold liquids, and its double-wall insulation keeps liquids cold for up to a full day. It is bisphenol A (BPA)-free and has a band on the cap for easier carrying and travel.
This 32-ounce water bottle is made from stainless steel, is vacuum insulated, and comes with a leak-proof flex cap. It can keep liquids cold for up to 24 hours and hot liquids warm for up to six hours.
Who Should Buy Hydro Flask 32 oz Water Bottle
- Those who need to keep their liquid cold for extended periods of time — this bottle keeps water cool for up to 24 hours.
- Anyone who prefers a stainless steel water bottle to a plastic bottle.
- Folks who value their bottle being free of industrial chemicals like BPA.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Hydro Flask 32 oz Water Bottle
- People who prefer a water bottle that is machine washable.
- Those working on a tighter budget.
[Related: The Lifter’s Guide To Magnesium: What This Nutrient Does For Strength]
Best Water Bottle for Sports
This 32-ounce water bottle is BPA and toxin-free and utilizes a one-click opening clip for quick and easy sips during game breaks. Made from polyester, it is dust and leak-proof, impact-resistant, and fit for most cup holders. The spill-proof lid helps ensure no liquid seeps through into your gym bag when on the move, and it includes a carry strap for easier travel.
This water bottle sports a carrying strap and leak-proof lid. It is BPA-free, fits most cup holders, and is impact-resistant. It is made from polyester and available in four different colors.
Who Should Buy Embrava Best Sports Water Bottle
- Those who travel often and want a bottle that can fit in most cup holders.
- Anyone who values a water bottle that is impact-resistant (read: won’t crack when dropped on hard surfaces).
- People who want a carry strap on their water bottle.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Embrava Best Sports Water Bottle
- Folks who want a stainless steel water bottle to keep liquids cold for longer periods of time.
- Anyone who wants a wider mouthpiece for bigger swigs of water at a time.
[Related: The Real Pros And Cons Of The Bodybuilding Lifestyle]
Best Value Water Bottle
This BPA-free, polyester water bottle has a 32-ounce capacity for either hot or cold liquids and is dishwasher safe. The mouthpiece has a diameter of 2.5 inches to make for easier filling and the ability for the user to take larger gulps of water. It stands 8.2 inches tall and has measurement markers in both milliliters and ounces. The twist cap wraps around the neck of the bottle and can be attached to a gym bag for smoother travel.
This wide-mouth, dishwasher-safe, 32-ounce water bottle is made from polyester and is BPA-free. It has measuring markers on its side for both millimeters and ounces and is 8.2 inches tall.
Who Should Buy Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth BPA-Free Water Bottle
- Those who value having measurement markers to make filling up to a certain volume easier (good for mixing multiple liquids that need measuring).
- Folks on the move who want a water bottle that can be clipped onto a gym bag (can be attached via the cap but does not have a connecting clip or carabiner itself)
- Anyone trying not to reach too deep into their wallet.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth BPA-Free Water Bottle
- Folks who want a more narrow mouthpiece (this one is pretty wide with a 2.5-inch diameter).
- People who don’t want their water bottles to be see-through.
[Related: 3 Ways To Find Your 1-Rep Max (Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced)]
Best Flip Top Water Bottle
This Tritan water bottle is available in 10 different matte colors and is translucent. It is leak-resistant, dust-proof, and made in the USA. The flip-top pops off by sliding down a locking lid with your thumb, making it easy to open with just one hand. It stands 10.2 inches tall, includes a small handle that can be attached to a gym bag’s clip or separate carabiner, and has a volume marker on its side.
This water bottle is made with leakproof silicone and features a removable filter, volume marker, closing latch, and clip for easier travel. It is BPA and toxin-free and is available in 10 different colors.
Who Should Buy Opard 30oz Sports Water Bottle
- Anyone who wants an easy-to-open water bottle (can be opened single-handedly with an easy-release locking lid).
- Folks who value products made in the USA.
- People who are happy to have the removable filter to infuse fruit into their water.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Opard 30oz Sports Water Bottle
- Those who don’t want a water bottle that shows how much liquid is in it.
- Anyone who prefers a wide-mouthpiece water bottle.
[Related: Nutrition For Bulking: 10 Tips For Intelligent Muscle Gain]
Best Squeeze Water Bottle
This 26-ounce plastic water bottle is odor and stain-resistant, and BPA-free. It has markings on its side for measuring milliliters and ounces. It comes in four different color options and sports some knurling around its upper section for an easier grip when sweating. Although it is recommended to be washed by hand rather than by machine, it is one of the more affordable options available on the market.
This 750-milliliter capacity water bottle is available in four different colors and is resistant to odor and stains. It features the Adidas logo and classic three stripes design. It is BPA-free and hand-washable.
Who Should Buy Adidas Stadium 750 ML (26oz) Plastic Water Bottle
- People who want a thin water bottle that can fit in most cup holders.
- Folks who want a bottle they can squeeze for better water pressure sips.
- Anyone working with a tighter budget.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Adidas Stadium 750 ML (26oz) Plastic Water Bottle
- Those who want a water bottle with a carrying strap.
- Anyone who wants a machine-washable water bottle.
[Related: Hypertrophy Training Sets And Reps]
How We Decided Our Picks Picks
While much of the decision-making when choosing a water bottle will come down to personal preference, there are a few things to consider while shopping.
If you’re going to invest in a water bottle, particularly one of the pricier options, it should be built to last. The key here is getting a water bottle that isn’t going to break if it’s tossed around a bag, won’t leak, and can handle all the curveballs on any given day. Stainless steel, Tritan plastic, or other impact-resistant materials should be more highly valued in your pick order.
Not all water bottles are created equal. Some are better for outdoor hiking, and others are great for sitting on top of a desk at the office. Either way, it’s important to look at your activity level and lifestyle before picking a water bottle to match. For example, if you’re into hot yoga, look for a water bottle with a good grip in sweaty conditions.
It doesn’t have to be fancy, but a water bottle you hate looking at probably isn’t the best pick, so aesthetics are a reasonable deciding point if the practical aspects of your top choices are equal. If you want to see how much liquid is in the bottle from the outside, there are translucent or clear water bottles available. Likewise, if you don’t like that, there are solid color options that don’t reveal that information to the outside eye.
[Related: The 3 Most Effective Workouts Splits For Strength Training]
What To Consider Before Buying
Now that you’ve got an idea of what kind of water bottles are out there let’s go over a few suggestions for an active person looking for a water bottle to bring to the gym, field, court, or any other fitness journey.
- Quality is key. Look for a water bottle that is durable, leak-proof, and/or impact-resistant. Stainless steel and similar material water bottles are likely the best options for quality.
- Look for insulation. Keeping water cool during training sessions is often a high priority. Water bottles with insulation that can keep water cool for longer periods of time will better preserve that refreshing sip after a set.
Hopefully, all of these tips, selections, and recommendations will make it easier to choose the best water bottle for you.