The CrossFit® Open has come and gone, and we’re a little under a month away from Regionals season. This year’s Open had a ton of ups and downs, so we’re excited to see what’s in store for the Regionals Competitions. Much like with the Open workouts, Dave Castro loves to drop hints in lead up to the Regionals competition.
Earlier today in an Instagram post, he released the first hint for the Regionals workouts. The post (featured below) includes a weight vest laid out on the ground. Is Castro saying weight vests will be used in Regionals, or is he using this to possibly suggest another workout modality?
If you look in the bottom right corner, you can also see a logo with “5.11” on it. This could be significant because the last time we saw weighted vests in competition was at the 2015/2016 CrossFit Games where athletes wore 5.11 Tactical vests (plus, he tagged their Instagram page).
The picture seems to be a pretty clear suggestion of what to expect, but it’s hard to make a clear assumption. Besides, Castro has thrown curve balls before, which have lead athletes astray. For example, remember back to this year’s 17.3 Open workout hint, which were playing cards laid out? A lot of athletes speculated rowing or biking, but it turned out to be a chest to bar pull-up matched with heavy snatches.
This year’s Regionals schedule will take place over the course of three weekends and the full schedule from the CrossFit Games site is posted below.
May 19 – 21, 2017
- East Regional | Albany, New York |Times Union Center
- South Regional | San Antonio, Texas | Alamodome
May 26 – 28, 2017
- Pacific Regional | Wollongong, Australia | WIN Entertainment Centre
- California Regional | Del Mar, California | Del Mar Arena
- Central Regional | Nashville, Tennessee | Music City Center
June 2 – 4, 2017
- Meridian Regional | Madrid, Spain | Caja Mágica
- West Regional | Portland, Oregon | Portland Expo Center
- Atlantic Regional | Atlanta, Georgia | Georgia World Congress Center
What are your thoughts on Castro’s weighted vest hint? Do you think it’s as straight forward as it seems?
Feature image from @thedavecastro Instagram page.