Early this morning, CrossFit, Inc. announced four more sanctioned events to be held for the 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games season in a press release shared on PR Newsire. This announcement now brings the total amount of sanctioned events to six that currently are taking place on five continents.
These newly announced events are taking place in multiple regions across the globe, which include: South Africa, France, Brazil, and the Mid-Atlantic. At the sanctioned events, first place finishers in the men’s, women’s, and team divisions will be stamping their ticket to the 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games. And remember, team competition formatting is much different this year from what we’ve seen in the past.
The latest four events to be announced as sanctioned events can be seen below, and the bullets included about each event come from the press release,
1. CrossFit Fittest in Cape Town — South Africa
- An online qualifier will take place before the final competition will be held as a three-day event in Cape Town in February 2019.
2. Mid-Athletic CrossFit Challenge — Columbia, Maryland
- Event hosts over 800 athletes from more than 75 affiliates competing in divisions
- Mid-Atlantic CrossFit Challenge will be held over two days in April of 2019.
3. Brazil CrossFit Championship — Brazil
- The Brazil CrossFit Championship is the first CrossFit sanctioned competition in South America (a second South American sanctioned event will be announced in the coming weeks).
- The Brazil CrossFit Championship will take place in São Paulo in May 2019.
4. CrossFit French Throwdown — Paris, France
- The Throwdown’s online qualifiers will be in April, and the final three-day event will take place in Paris in June 2019.
In late August, CrossFit, Inc. first announced that the Dubai Championships would serve as a sanctioned qualifier, and are taking place in mid-December. Then a week later, it was announced that the 2019 Granite Games would be held as a sanctioned event, and will kick off in June 2019.
Prospective Timeline of the Six Announced Sanctioned Events
1. Dubai Championships — December 2018
2. CrossFit Fittest In Capetown — February 2019
3. CrossFit French Throwdown — April 2019
4. Mid-Atlantic CrossFit Challenge — April 2019
5. Brazil CrossFit Championship — May 2019
6. Granite Games — June 2019
It’s been a whirlwind trying to keep up with all of the latest 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games announcements. For those unfamiliar with the new changes, check out this article to bring you up to speed, along with this piece for further details.
Feature image from @crossfitgames Instagram page, photo by @rubywolff.