Earlier today, Nike announced official photos and release dates for the Nike Metcon 5.
From what we can tell and what was provided, the Nike Metcon 5 has received multiple updates compared to the Nike Metcon 4 and the Nike Metcon 4XD. In addition to the Nike Metcon 5 release, Nike has also announced the release of the signature Nike Metcon 5 Mat Fraser, which we’ve provided more details on below.
Nike Metcon 5 Details
Nike Metcon 5 Release Dates
From Nike’s official press release, they stated that the Nike Metcon 5 is available for NikePlus and NTC Pro Members June 27, and globally July 8.
- NikePlus and NTC Pro Members — June 27th
- Globally Available — July 8th
So what exactly is different about the Nike Metcon 5? In Nike’s press release, they provided all of the differences that are making their debut on this model. Check them out below!
What’s New On the Outer Construction
• The haptic chain-link pattern on the upper can better withstand the abuse of rope climbs.
• The tongue has more cushioning for better support and lock-down.
• A directional pattern on the rope wrap provides exceptional grip (or catch) during rope climbs and allows for a smoother slide during descents. The peak is also higher, so there’s more surface area to provide grip and durability.
What’s New In the Heel
• A wider heel improves stability during heavy squats, snatches, cleans and shoulder-to-overhead movements.
• A Nike Hyperlift insert gives an additional 8mm lift for men and 6mm for women to further improve stability. The higher offset helps you to maintain heel-to-ground contact and balance, which can create strong stability during heavy lifts as well as high-rep squats, wall balls, thrusters and even rowing.
What’s New In the Midsole and Outsole
• The dual-density drop-in midsole is softer and more flexible in the forefoot. This adds comfort and protection during high-impact moves like double-unders, box jumps, burpees and more.
• A new pattern on the outsole, made of a stickier rubber in the forefoot and a more durable rubber in the heel, improves linear traction during sled pushes and sprints. Both rubbers add durability over weak points and prevent wear down.
• The Metcon logo also got a refresh. It’s bigger, sleeker and more prominent.
Nike Metcon 5 — Mat Fraser
Nike Metcon 5 Mat Fraser PE Release Dates
From Nike’s press release, they stated that the Nike Metcon 5 Mat Fraser PE is available to NikePlus members on June 25, and on June 28 on nike.com and at select retailers.
- NikePlus Members — June 25th
- Nike.com — June 28th
Fraser’s Metcon 5 has a ton of aesthetic differences compared to the normal Metcon 5. In Nike’s press release they write,
“The darkness represents Fraser’s inward focus and meticulous dedication to his routine, while the lightness signifies him stepping into the spotlight for competition. The red racing stripe is a nod to the chase for first place as well as the shorts worn by the CrossFit Games leader.”
With so many updates, it’s going to be interesting to see if this model performs the same as the Nike Metcon 4. We’ll be reviewing a pair in the very near future!
Feature image courtesy Nike.