The all-time raw squat world record in the women’s 90-kilogram weight class has fallen. On March 26, 2023, Sherine Marcelle appeared in the 2023 World Raw Powerlifting Federation (WRPF) Femme Fatale III meet and squatted 263.5 kilograms (580.9 pounds) on her second attempt to rewrite history.
Marcelle went eight for eight in attempts, foregoing her third squat attempt after claiming the all-time world record. Below is her full performance, according to LiftingCast:
2023 WRPF Femme Fatale III Results | Sherine Marcelle (90KG, Raw)
Marcelle weighed in at 89.2 kilograms and scored the following lifts:
- 250 kilograms (551.2 pounds)
- 263.5 kilograms (580.9 pounds) | New All-Time Raw World Record
- Bench Press
- 110 kilograms (242.5 pounds)
- 127.5 kilograms (281.1 pounds)
- 130 kilograms (286.6 pounds)
- 222.5 kilograms (490.5 pounds)
- 235 kilograms (518.1 pounds)
- 240 kilograms (529.1 pounds)
- Total — 633,5 kilograms (1,396.6 pounds)
Marcelle won gold in her weight class. She was joined on the podium by Ashley Nash and Casey Marie Dykman as the runner-up and bronze medalist, respectively.
Note: Marcelle wrote in the caption of her Instagram post documenting her world record squat that the weight was 579 pounds (262.6 kilograms). However, LiftingCast recorded the lift at 263.5 kilograms (580.9 pounds).
View this post on Instagram
[Related: Hafthor Björnsson Urges Lifters to Not Train Too Heavy Too Often]
For the lift, Marcelle wore a lifting belt and knee sleeves. According to her Instagram caption, her squat attempt was supposed to be 558 kilograms (569 pounds). A successful lockout of that weight would have eclipsed the previous all-time raw world record of 257.5 kilograms (567.7 pounds) scored by Samantha Rice at the 2022 United States Powerlifting Association (USPA) Pro Raw Championships.
However, Marcelle’s barbell was misloaded by 4.5 kilograms (10 pounds).
By the grace of god, I got that bar up. I did not stop fighting.
Before entering the contest, Marcelle had proved she could lift more than the world record in training. Six months later, Marcelle inadvertently tacked six kilograms onto the raw world record and claimed it for herself.
More Powerlifting Content
- Jesus Olivares (+120KG) Sets New All-Time World Record Raw Total of 1,152.5 Kilograms
- Joe Sullivan (100 KG) Breaks All-Time World Record Raw Squat with 386-Kilogram (851-Pound) Lift
- Danny Grigsby (110KG) Deadlifts New All-Time World Raw Record of 467.5 Kilograms (1,030.7 Pounds)
Featured Image: @sincerelysherine on Instagram