After some frustrating delays due to scoring and appeals, Event 6 of the 2022 Rogue Invitational concluded with some excitement.
Two familiar names — Justin Medeiros and Laura Horvath — finished ahead of their respective fields but not without some serious contenders and a few photo finishes. Keep reading for the full event recap.
[Related: Check out BarBend’s live leaderboard for complete coverage of the 2022 Rogue Invitational.]
Event Six Workout — “The Duel II”
- 1 legless rope climb
- 10 Overhead Squats — Men: 135 pounds | Women: 95 pounds
- Sandbag Carry to Finish — Men: 200 pounds | Women: 150 pounds
*This event was completed in an elimination-style manner, with the field of competitors narrowing down over five heats. Only two athletes remained in the last heat.
Event Six Results
The second iteration of last year’s original “Duel” kept the “elimination-style” brackets — with athletes who put up the best times in each round moving on until the final round. In that final round, the two remaining contenders battled it out in a head-to-head match-up.
[Read: The Best Kettlebells for Beginners, CrossFit, Cardio, and More]
The athletes had no issues with the legless rope climb, as most finished the rep at roughly the same time. It was the 10 overhead squats that proved to be the deciding factor as any slip up or “no-rep” cost valuable seconds.
From there, athletes had to pick the sandbag and sprint to the finish. The entire series of events took about 45(ish) seconds.
- Justin Medeiros — 5 rounds, 0:30.52
- Jorge Fernandez — 5 rounds, 0:31.21
- Chandler Smith — 4 rounds, 0:32.94
- Patrick Vellner — 4 round, 0:35.45
- Jonne Koski — 4 rounds, 0:42.85
- Nick Mathew — 3 rounds, 0:24.13
- Cole Sager — 3 rounds, 0:35.66
- Lazar Dukic — 3 rounds, 0:36.33
- Björgvin Guðmundsson — 3 rounds, 0:36.58
- Noah Ohlsen — 3 rounds, 0:39.21
- Jeffrey Adler — 2 rounds, 0:36.71
- Samuel Kwant — 2 rounds, 0:36.77
- Jayson Hopper — 2 rounds, 0:37.28
- Henrik Haapalainen — 2 rounds, 0:39.28
- Roman Khrennikov — 2 rounds, 0:39.59
- Saxon Panchik — 1 round, 0:38.41
- Tim Paulson — 1 round, 0:38.65
- Ricky Garard — 1 round, 0:38.78
- Scott Tetlow — 1 round, 0:46.69
- Jack Farlow — 1 round, 1:30.0
- Laura Horvath — 5 rounds, 0:35.78
- Danielle Brandon — 5 rounds, 0:36.35
- Kara Saunders — 4 rounds, 0:36.35
- Ellie Turner — 4 rounds, 0:39.09
- Alexis Raptis — 4 rounds, 0:40.78
- Manon Angonese — 3 rounds, 0:41.28
- Annie Thorisdottir — 3 rounds, 0:41.56
- Dani Speegle — 3 rounds, 0:41.58
- Anikha Greer — 3 rounds, 0:41.62
- Amanda Barnhart — 3 rounds, 0:42.72
- Carolyne Prevost — 2 rounds, 0:42.78
- EmmaLawson — 2 rounds, 0:43.56
- Gabriela Migała — 2 rounds, 0:44.32
- Matilde Garnes — 2 rounds, 0:45.03
- Arielle Loewen — 2 rounds, 0:49.25
- Jacqueline Dahlstrøm — 1 round, 0:42.44
- Bailey Rogers — 1 round, 0:47.0
- Emma McQuaid —1 round, 0:48.0
- Olivia Kerstetter — 1 round, 0:51.0
- Andrea Solberg — 1 round, 0:54.0
Women’s Event Six Highlights
Horvath continued her streak of event wins, winning “The Duel II” for her fourth-straight win of the competition. She won her quarterfinal heat and just edged out Danielle Brandon in the Semifinals, as both athletes dived with their sand bags, setting up a rematch in the finals.
In the finals, Brandon held a slight lead after the rope climb and was a rep ahead of Horvath during the over head squat due to a faster cycling of her movement. She got to the sandbag first; however, Horvath had little issues getting it into her arms and won the foot race to the finish with a time of 35.78, the fastest time of the event.
[Read: The Best Cross-Training Shoes for Agility, CrossFit, and More]
Brandon finished in 36.35 and secured her third top-three finish and second-straight moving her up to fourth in the overall standings. Kara Saunders placed third, finishing in 37.60 in the semifinals. Ellie Turner finished fourth followed by Alexis Raptis in fifth.
Men’s Event Six Highlights
The two-time reigning and defending Fittest Man on Earth® was pushed by a newcomer in the individual competition field. Jorge Fernandez, a former collegiate baseball player, finally felt at home in Dell Diamond, a minor league baseball field.
The two-time Games qualifier is also a member of CrossFit Invictus, including being a part of their third place team at the 2022 Games. He showed he could compete not only with the best athletes but the best athlete in Medeiros.
The two had a close race in the Semifinals with the two-time champ edging out the newcomer. Their finals race was almost an identical run. Medeiros had a slight lead off the ropes and stayed a rep ahead of Fernandez during the overhead squats and picked up his sandbag first. A dive across the finish line secured Medeiros his second event win of the competition and knocked the wind out of him.
He finished in 30.52, the fastest time of the day, while Fernandez put in a time of 31.21. Chandler Smith recorded his second top-three finish of the competition, placing third with a time of 32.94.
A costly no-rep in the overhead squat during the semis cost Patrick Vellner; he settles for fourth and Jonne Koski placed fifth.
Up Next at the 2022 Rogue Invitational
The athletes conclude the third day of competition with some strongman action as Rogue rolls out a specially designed log for the “Texas Oak” press.
The competition will be live-streamed on the Rogue YouTube channel. Stay tuned to BarBend’s event coverage and results page to keep up-to-date on the happenings of the 2022 Rogue Invitational.
Featured Image: Patrick Clark / Athlete’s Eye Photography