Today we’re talking to Bethany Shadburne, a multi-time CrossFit Games athlete who finished in the Games Top 10 in 2019. While many top Games athletes seem to only highlight their biggest lifts and fastest times, Bethany is better known on social media for the minutia; hundreds of thousands of people tune into her posts for creative prehab and warm-up exercises, a routine Bethany prioritizes because of a history of injuries and back pain. Bethany joins the podcast to talk about Games training during quarantine, body parts CrossFitters tend to neglect, and why she almost stopped training completely in the months leading up to her outstanding 2019 Games performance.
Note: We recorded this podcast a couple weeks before recent leadership changes at CrossFit HQ and before a series of delays were announced for the 2020 CrossFit Games.
In this episode of the BarBend Podcast, David Thomas Tao talks to Bethany Shadburne about:
- Bethany’s home gym setup during her quarantine period (1:50)
- The equipment Bethany’s gym members DIDN’T want to take home (5:00)
- Bethany’s outstanding (and surprise to her) Top 10 Games performance in 2019 (8:00)
- Predictions for the 2020 CrossFit Games (13:00)
- Her bodybuilding background (17:20)
- Why Bethany posts so much prehab, rehab, and accessory work on Instagram (22:30)
Relevant links and further reading: