Today I’m talking to multi-time CrossFit Games athlete Emma McQuaid, who just qualified for the 2022 CrossFit Games. The Irish athlete has a length background in sports but didn’t find CrossFit until she was 24 years old. Now in her 30s, the Wodapalooza champion talks about her background in quad bike racing — ATV racing in American slang — how it both helped and hurt her career in elite fitness competition.
Before we get into that, I want to give a quick shoutout to today’s episode sponsor, Colter Dillon. Do you struggle finding a t-shirt that fits as well as that ONE t you loved until it wore out? Do you wish a standard medium was JUST a little bit longer, or maybe a large wasn’t so baggy for you? Then you’ve got to check out Colter Dillon. They personalize the fit for YOU, and they have tons of color options — you can even personalize artwork on the shirt! They deliver your perfect t-shirt every time. Check out Colter Dillon today.
In this episode of The BarBend Podcast, David Thomas Tao and Emma McQuaid discuss:
- Making huge strides in confidence and Emma’s mental game (2:20)
- Why it can be hard for athletes to verbalize their feelings (4:30)
- How swimming has become critical to CrossFit Games success (7:30)
- Emma’s unlikely transition from quad bike racing to CrossFit (10:30)
- Mobility deficits Emma had to overcome (13:00)
- Recovering from major shoulder surgery (16:50)
- Battling the heat and Emma’s plan to recover between events (19:50)
Relevant links and further reading
- Follow Emma McQuaid on Instagram
- Follow David Thomas Tao on Instagram and Twitter