The 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games are upon us, which means it’s time to set your own predictions for the Women’s and Men’s podiums. The 2019 iteration of Games — which run from July 31st to August 4th in Madison, Wisconsin — come after a series of massive changes to qualification.
Regional competitions, which traditionally set the majority of the Games field, are a thing of the past, and athletes and teams now qualify through one of several methods:
- Win a predetermined Sanctional competition leading up to the Games
- Qualify via the CrossFit Open
- Receive an “At Large” bid from CrossFit HQ
It can get a little confusing, so we break down all the paths to qualification in video below. In addition, we talked with top athletes and pundits to get their 2019 podium predictions. Do you agree or disagree with their picks?
To get a sense of how this year’s competition field was shaping up — and to get podium predictions — we spoke with four experts:
- Kari Pearce is a multi-time Reebok CrossFit Games athlete and the reigning fittest American female.
- Frederik Aegidius is also a multi-time Games competitor from Denmark.
- Tim Paulson is an American athlete and three-time CrossFit Games competitor based out of upstate New York.
- Justin LoFranco is a journalist and founder of Morning Chalk Up, a daily newsletter resource for athletes and fans of the sport.
Who do you think has the best shot at standing atop the podium? Can anyone challenge defending champions Tia-Clair Toomey and Mat Fraser?
More 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games Resources
Gearing up to watch the Games? We’ve put together some more helpful resources for fans watching along at home:
- How to watch the 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games (including how to watch LIVE and for FREE on BarBend!)
- We explain the new scoring system for the 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games
- A tentative daily schedule for the 2019 Games
- Looking ahead to next season already? Here’s the full list of Sanctional competitions and qualifiers for 2020.