The International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) and SBD Apparel announced a new IPF category event that will bring together 12 men and 12 women for one weekend to battle it out for the title of Champion of Champions. This event is not only the first of its kind, but will also have one of the largest prize purses in the sport’s history.
The event will run from March 28 – 29 in 2020. It will be held at Sheffield City Hall, Barker’s Pool, Sheffield S1 2JA, United Kingdom.
This event was designed to showcase the biggest IPF stars in powerlifting. The 12 men and 12 women featured have to meet the following criteria to be considered for the event.
- Competed in an IPF World or Regional Classic Powerlifting event.
- Achieved, or reasonably be capable of achieving, 700 IPF Points.
- Currently in good standing and not under suspension from the IPF.
- No prior anti-doping offenses warranting a ban of more than one year.
Athlete Selection (subject to meeting Athlete Eligibility)
- Primary – Reigning IPF Open Classic World Champion 2019.
- Secondary – Reigning IPF Open Classic World Championship 2019 1st, 2nd, 3rd, best lifters.
- Tertiary – Highest IPF Points performance from each unrepresented IPF Region.
- Wild Card – Remaining slots to be selected by SBD.
The prize that will be awarded is £250,000 euros. According to the IPF press release, this prize purse will be given based on, highest total, highest IPF points, and world records broken. There has still been no official word released on how the prize money will be distributed.
This event also celebrates SBD Apparel and the IPF’s new partnership. “We are excited to announce this new partnership with the IPF, which will see us celebrate the world’s strongest powerlifters in a new category of IPF event,” Benjamin Banks, SBD Apparel’s CEO and founder said in the press release.
“It has long been our aim to elevate the sport of powerlifting to new heights, and we look forward to welcoming lifters and fans for what we expect to be a spectacular event next March.”
We’re excited to see what athletes will be featured at this event in March, and once the list of 12 men and 12 women are released we’ll be sure to provide an ultimate preview for the meet.
Featured image from @theipf Instagram page.