If you’re training in powerlifting or weightlifting, nothing can perfectly replicate the stimulus of a barbell. But smart at-home training with minimal or no equipment CAN make an impact. And in an extended period away from the gym, many athletes can actually add muscle mass and improve their mobility.
BarBend Fitness Editor Jake Boly joins the show to talk about strategies to preserve gains and even improve your lifting patterns while at home, using common household items and or just a few pieces of exercise equipment.
In this episode of the BarBend Podcast, David Thomas Tao and Jake Boly cover:
- Am I going to lose my gains?! (2:06)
- Why we’re not going to lose as much as we think (3:50)
- Working on positional stability and mobility during time away from the gym (6:30)
- Building resistance at home with household objects (9:00)
- Back training at home (11:15)
- Training frequency with bodyweight exercises (15:20)
- Entry-level items for home fitness (and while Jake would start with a kettlebell) (16:55)
Relevant links and further reading: