James Newbury is the 5th Fittest Man on Earth, a 4-time Australia’s Fittest Man, and one of the most cerebral athletes we’ve ever spoken with. Learn about the changes to training, nutrition, and recovery that catapulted him to his best-ever CrossFit Games result in 2019 — and where James thinks he has even more room to improve. He also gives his thoughts on format changes for the CrossFit Games, including the cut structure that quickly narrowed the field in 2019.
Since starting CrossFit in 2011, James Newbury has made a name for himself as one of Australia’s best in the sport. He has four Games appearances under his belt, and through consistent improvement and some important changes heading into 2019, James came away with a coveted 5th place finish in Madison. James and David Thomas Tao talk in-depth on the strategies James uses to keep improving, from elevation training to coaching and the mental strategies that keep him going in tough workouts.
They also dive into James’ life post-Games and his preparation for the 2020 CrossFit Games season.
In this episode of The BarBend Podcast, guest James Newbury and host David Thomas Tao discuss:
- James’ rest and recovery after the 2019 CrossFit Games (2:30)
- Why James followed the Games with hiking and snowboarding trips (3:00)
- Training at elevation and how that humbled James (4:41)
- His thoughts on the controversial cut structure at the 2019 CrossFit Games (6:20)
- James’ favorite (and least favorite) events from the 2019 Games
- The event that put James flat on his back (9:00)
- Why are Australians so good at the water events? (12:00)
- The factors that lead to James’ breakout season and his best-ever CrossFit Games finish (15:25)
- His weaknesses as a Games athlete — and what he’s working hard to improve (19:20)
- The qualification plan for the 2020 Season (22:00)
- Where the CrossFit Games goes from here (22:59)
- How long can James compete at this level? (27:01)
- The athletes who inspire James (28:30)
Relevant links and further reading:
- Follow James on Instagram
- Follow James’ programming on Ultra Instinct Athletes
- Go in-depth on James’ training leading up to the 2019 CrossFit Games