Phil Andrews has been CEO of USA Weightlifting since early 2016. Under his leadership, America has broken long Olympic and World Championship medal droughts, established itself as an international weightlifting contender, and grown its staff with names like Pyrros Dimas. Of course, it takes a village, and Phil joins us to talk about the different leaders, athletes, and programs behind USAW’s journey to the Tokyo Olympics. We also chat anti-doping measures, hosting international competitions, and what America still lacks on the weightlifting front.
Note: BarBend is the Official Media Partner of USA Weightlifting. The two organizations maintain editorial independence, unless specified on partnership content. This piece was done in collaboration with USA Weightlifting.
In this episode of The BarBend Podcast, guest Phil Andrews and host David Thomas Tao discuss:
- The travel schedule of USA Weightlifting’s CEO (3:30)
- Phil’s responsibilities as CEO (4:44)
- How Phil became CEO of USA Weightlifting (it’s a fascinating professional story that begins at the London Olympics) (7:02)
- Changing perceptions of American weightlifting in the international community (11:08)
- What Phil thinks still needs to be done regarding anti-doping measures in the US and abroad (17:42)
- The surprising country that Phil thinks has made great strides in anti-doping measures (20:00)
- Growing USA Weightlifting with new, international faces in leadership (25:30)
- Bringing Pyrros Dimas into USA Weightlifting (28:03)
- Working like you have something to prove (31:30)
- Looking beyond the 2020 Tokyo Olympics (33:00)
Relevant links and further reading: