How do you self-identify? What happens when life takes a U-turn and you undergo a fundamental shift in how you operate as a person, athlete, or coach? And how the people around you perceive that shift? Changing your mindset is often the hardest part, but Liz Adams has tackled that issue head on — twice. CrossFit competitor and coach Liz Adams joins us to discuss how mindfulness and mental strength impact our development as people and athletes.
Liz shares her story of evolving from one type of athlete to another. She leans on mental strength and mindfulness practice to better understand her own growth as a person. Shifting perspectives and roles in your community is never easy, but Liz provides some great tips on how you can turn a personal shift into a net positive for the people around you.
Our conversation focused on self-assessment and being honest with yourself in more ways than one. Whether you’re an athlete, a coach, or simply experiencing a shift in life, Liz’s experience and insights are helpful in working through major change.
In this episode of The BarBend Podcast, guest Liz Adams and host David Thomas Tao discuss:
- Liz’s athletic background, including college basketball (2:50)
- What a “wandering period” looked like for Liz after college, and how her identity was so tied to being an athlete (5:40)
- A significant injury that paused Liz’s progression in CrossFit (10:50)
- Liz’s experience competing alongside her siblings at CrossFit Regionals (11:15)
- How mindset has become a bigger and bigger part of Liz’s athletic and coaching practice (13:30)
- How “How can I be better?” changes to “How can I be better for the people around me?” (16:33)
- Letting go of goals and your self-identification (19:00)
- Exploring the world of mindfulness and meditation (22:45)
- The art and practice of sharing mindfulness (25:00)
Relevant links and further reading:
- Follow Liz Adams on Instagram!