Today I’m talking to — and I don’t use this term lightly — fitness LEGEND Tony Horton. Tony is the creator of P90X, which became popular among millions of users. (Yes, I remember those infomercials too). Tony leveraged an acting background to become the fitness industry’s most visible personality for years. He’s also a straight shooter and isn’t afraid to look back on his career to say what he could have improved — and how he continues to learn. Which movement would he have removed from P90X? Who bailed on him for a celebrity workout? And what’s he up to today? All that and more in today’s episode.
Before we get into that, I want to give a quick shoutout to today’s episode sponsor, Thirdzy. Thirdzy’s PM Recovery Collagen is formulated to help you sleep deeper and recover faster. It’s got collagen peptides to support muscle, bone, and ligament health, plus sleep-promoters like magnesium, L-theanine, and tryptophan to help you fall asleep and stay asleep for better recovery. I’m personally a huge fan of magnesium before bed to help with relaxation. Wake up feeling energized and ready for the day and training ahead. Use code BarBendZzz — that’s BarBend with three Zs after it — for 25% off today.
In this episode of The BarBend Podcast, David Thomas Tao and Tony Horton discuss:
- What excites Tony in fitness after his lengthy career (2:08)
- How a background in performance launched Tony’s unlikely fitness career (6:00)
- Where the fitness industry NEEDS to go (9:30)
- Learning from failures and mistakes in programming (15:18)
- Chasing the material and “success” (19:00)
- Things Tony might do over, especially with P90X (24:00)
- Tony’s multiple home gym setup (28:00)
Relevant links and further reading: