The 2022 Rogue Strongman Invitational is set to take place from Oct. 28-29 in Round Rock, Texas, as a part of the four-day Rogue Invitational, which features both a strongman and CrossFit competition.
Ten of the world’s top strongmen are vying for the largest prize purse in the sport by battling across six events over those two days of competition. BarBend will update this page in real-time with event placings and schedule updates.
[RELATED: You can also check out BarBend’s CrossFit leaderboard and results page.]
2022 Rogue invitational Strongman Leaderboard
- OIeksii Novikov — 49.5 points
- Trey Mitchell — 48 points
- Mitchell Hooper — 43.5 points
- Martins Licis — 37.5 points
- Pavlo Nakonechnyy — 35 points
- Bobby Thompson — 27.5 points
- Maxime Boudreault — 27 points
- Rob Kearney — 25 points
- Eythor Ingolfsson Melsted — 22.5 points
- Kevin Faires — 14.5 points
Day One Results
The overall schedule is in flux as Rogue has to push its schedule back due to weather. However, the event is set to occur soon. You can watch both the strongman and CrossFit competitions in the below stream:
Alongside CrossFit commentator, Sean Woodland is Laurence “Big Loz” Shahlaei, a two-time Britain’s Strongest Man and England’s Strongest Man winner.
Event One — Tower of Power | Deadlift for Reps
The first event was a good old fashioned deadlift for reps, but performed on one of Rogue’s spectacular structures — this one called the “Tower of Power”. Essentially, the competitors had to perform an 18-inch deadlift for as many reps as possible in 60 seconds.
However, the weight was set many feet below the athletes, drastically altering the leverages compared to a standard deadlift.
As for the results, Ukrainian powerlifter-turned-strongman Pavlo Nakonechnyy pulled an incredible 12 reps to secure the lead by two reps — a significant margin for this event. Shahlaei noted that Nakonechnyy’s final rep wasn’t necessary, but the 25-year-old wanted to make a statement.
American Trey Mitchell managed 10 reps while returning champion Martin Licis tied with Oleksii Novikov with eight reps.
- Pavlo Nakonechnyy — 12 reps
- Trey Mitchell — 10 reps
- Martins Licis — 9 reps
- OIeksii Novikov — 9 reps
- Bobby Thompson — 8 reps
- Mitchell Hooper — 8 reps
- Rob Kearney — 7 reps
- Kevin Faires — 2 reps
- Eythor Ingolfsson Melsted — 2 reps
- Maxime Boudreault — 0 reps
Competitors have 60 seconds to deadlift 900 pounds on the “Tower of Power” — a large structure that athletes stand on while pulling a bar set 18-inches from the floor.
Event Two — Cyr Dumbbell Ladder
To (probably) no one’s surprise, Oleksii Novikov of Ukraine, who holds the current strongman dumbbell press record, secured a win in this event. He was the only man capable of pressing all five dumbbells overhead.
After a stunning performance in the deadlift — lifting 900 pounds for 12 reps — Pavlo Nakonechny dropped to ninth place. Trey Mitchell maintains a consistent force thus far, and consistency is a winning formula in strongman.
- Oleksii Novikov — 5 reps in 1:56.86 seconds
- Trey Mitchell — 4 in 49.39 seconds
- Martins Licis — 3 in 32.52 seconds
- Rob Kearney — 3 in 49.81 seconds
- Eythór Ingólfsson Melsted — 2 in 20.93 seconds
- Maxime Boudreault — 1 in 6.18 seconds
- Bobby Thompson — 1 in 6.89 seconds
- Mitchell Hooper — 1 in 7.31 seconds
- Pavlo Nakonechnyy — 1 in 13.19 seconds
- Kevin Faires — 1 in 17.91 seconds
Athletes had to press four dumbbells — weighing 253, 274, 280, and 285 pounds — as quickly as possible. If an athlete makes it to the fourth dumbbell, hold that position until the judge gives the down command.
Event Three — Rogue Husafell Sandbag Carry
Hoop, there it is! Since Mitchell Hooper’s shocking debut at the 2022 World’s Strongest Man, where he took eighth overall and dominantly won his group, the Canadian bodybuilder-turned-marathoner-turned strongman has been on a tear. And in late September, he won the 2022 Arnold Strongman UK Classic.
Among this field of elite competitors, it’s safe to assume that as many eyes are on Hooper as they are on Licis, Novikov, and Mitchell. After two middling performances, Hooper emerged victorious, winning the Husafell Sandbag Carry by 12 feet over Novikov. As one of the smaller strongmen in the field, Hooper excels in the movement events (we saw this during the Medley at WSM).
Rounding out the top three is Oleksii Novikov (another “small” guy who moves fast) and Pavlo Nakonechnyy, who logged his second top-three performance of the contest.
- Mitchell Hooper — 225 feet
- Oleksii Novikov — 213 feet, 9 inches
- Pavlo Nakonechnyy — 208 feet, 4 inches
- Trey Mitchell — 158 feet, 2 inches
- Rob Kearney — 148 feet, 3 inches
- Martins Licis — 136 feet, 8 inches
- Bobby Thompson — 135 feet, 8 inches
- Kevin Faires — 133 feet, 2 inches
- Eythór Ingólfsson Melsted — 129 feet, 6 inches
- Maxime Boudreault — 105 feet, 4 inches
Competitors were tasked with carrying The Husafell sandbag, which weighs 400 pounds, down a 75-foot course and back as many times as possible for max distance.
Day Two Results
BarBend will update this section starting on Oct. 29, 2022.
Event Four — Rogue-a-Coaster Pull
- Martins Licis — 33.83 seconds
- Pavlo Nakonechnyy — 38.51 seconds
- Oleksii Novikov — 39.04 seconds
- Trey Mitchell — 40.89 seconds
- Mitchell Hooper — 42.53 seconds
- Bobby Thompson — 1:02.28 seconds
- Maxime Boudreault — 1:09.6 seconds
- Eythor Ingolfsson Melsted — 1:27.62 seconds
- Kevin Faires — 43 feet, 3 inches
- Rob Kearney — 25 feet, 7 inches
Athletes were tasked to perform an arm-over-arm rope pull hoisting a 600-pound cart up a ramp similar to the lift of a roller coaster. There was a time cap of 90 seconds, and scores were based on the fastest time and then the farthest distance for those who did not complete the pull within 90 seconds.
Event Five — Yoke Carry, Overhead Log Lift Medley
- Mitchell Hooper — 32.69 seconds
- Maxime Boudreault — 46.78 seconds
- Bobby Thompson — 53.86 seconds
- Oleksii Novikov — 59.57 seconds
- Trey Mitchell — 1:08.05 seconds
- Rob Kearney — 1:20.58 seconds
- Martins Licis — Two reps
- Eythor Ingolfsson Melsted — Two reps
- Kevin Faires — One rep
- Pavlo Nakonechnyy — One rep
Event Six — Stones Over Hitching Post
Each strongman was tasked with carrying a 1,000-pound yoke for 50 feet and then completing three log lifts with a 360-pound log. The yoke was considered one rep, and the log was considered three reps. With a time cap of two minutes and 30 seconds, the fastest time to complete all four reps won.
- Trey Mitchell — 24.79 seconds
- Mitchell Hooper — 26.49 seconds
- Oleksii Novikov — 30.62 seconds
- Maxime Boudreault — 36.28 seconds
- Eythor Ingolfsson Melsted — 1:07.14 seconds
- Pavlo Nakonechnyy — Four stones
- Kevin Faires — Four stones
- Martins Licis — Three stones
- Rob Kearney — Three stones
- Bobby Thompson — Two stones
- Martins Licis — Reigning Champion
- Oleksii Novikov
- Rob Kearney
- Maxime Boudreault
- Trey Mitchell
- Bobby Thompson
- Mitchell Hooper
- Eythór Ingólfsson Melsted
- Pavlo Nakonechnyy
- Kevin Faires
From Oct. 28-29, 2022, nine strongmen will attempt to dethrone defending champion Martins Licis via the following schedule of events:
Oct. 28, 2022
- Event One — Tower of Power | Deadlift for Reps
- Event Two — Cyr Dumbbell Ladder
- Dumbbell weights: 253, 274, 280, 285 pounds
- Event Three — Rogue Husafell Sandbag Carry
Oct. 29, 2022
- Event Four — Rogue-a-Coaster Pull
- 54-foot incline pull
- Event Five — Yoke Carry, Overhead Log Lift Medley
- 1,000-pound yoke
- Three 360-pound log lifts
- Event Six — Stones Over Hitching Post
- Stone weights: 275, 300, 365, 400, and 420 pounds
Check out the results of each event below.
How to Watch the Rogue Invitational
livestream will be published on Rogue’s website and their YouTube channel. The stream will be live for all four days and features both CrossFit and strongman.
Featured image: @rogueinvitational on Instagram