Bill Esch is best known online as the Kettlebell Warrior. Starting with a background in Olympic weightlifting, Bill discovered kettlebell sport in his late 20s. After five years of training, he became the first American male to achieve the rank of master of sport international class in kettlebell sport.
In today’s episode, we talk about the origins and history of kettlebell sport, what exactly it is that Bill competes in, and give some context on the extreme marks of endurance, strength, and mental fortitude his and other kettlebell athlete’s accomplishments really signify.
In this episode of the BarBend Podcast, David Thomas Tao talks to Bill Esch about:
- The great kettlebell shortage of 2020 (2:14)
- Kettlebell training (generally) vs. kettlebell sport (4:57)
- The three main lifts in kettlebell sport (8:11)
- Maximizing efficiency and mastery of kettlebell movement (10:10)
- Community and camaraderie in strength sports (12:40)
- “Masters of Sport” (15:00)
- The ridiculous world record in Bill’s weight class (19:50)
- How to get started training in kettlebell sport (21:10)
- What it would take to grow kettlebell sport in the United States (and what CrossFit could do) (25:00)
- Variations on kettlebell sport to make it more spectator-friendly (28:00)
View this post on Instagram
Kettlebell Sport Training 🧗🏼 Climbing the Mountain 🏔 _________________________________________ Longcycle intervals will absolutely challenge your stamina and strength. The “climbing the mountain” workout you will do a 1 minute longcycle sprint and then rest 1 minute. They are 10 rounds, each sprint gets heavier in weight as you approach the 5th set , then sets 6-10 slowly decrease in weight till the 10th set when you are using the weight you started with. Good luck! 🧗🏼 Climbing the Mountain 🏔 1 minute on / 1 minute rest Longcycle 2x28kg 12reps Longcycle 2x30kg 12 reps Longcycle 2x32kg 12 reps Longcycle 2x34kg 11 reps Longcycle 2x40kg 3 reps (I fell apart) Longcycle 2x40kg 7 reps (pulled it together) Longcycle 2x34kg 7 reps Longcycle 2x32kg 10 reps Longcycle 2x30kg 10 reps (forgot to turn on camera) Longcycle 2x28kg 14 reps SAVE IT 💵 SHARE IT👍🏻 DO IT 🛠 #kettlebellwarrior #kettellbell #kettlebellsnatch #kettlebellpress #overheadsquat #fitness #kettlebellswing #kettlebellflow #kettlebellcomplex #functionalfitness #fitness #bjj #bjjstrengthandconditioning #functionaltraining #olympicweightlifting #cleanandjerk #homefitness #MSIC #longcycle #kettlebellsport #intervals #crossfit @kettlebellkings @bjjworld.tv @trainmag @menshealthuk @menshealthmag @muscleandfitness photo credit: @sieranikolephotography @sieranikolez
Relevant links and further reading: