Today we’re talking to weightlifter, coach, and former bodybuilder Jon North, who has been a prominent figure in American Strength Sports for nearly a decade.
Jon’s story is one with a number of twists and turns: From overcoming addiction to earn his way among the top ranks of American weightlifters, Jon was one of the first virtual weightlifting coaches to build a large following online, and he also competed in bodybuilding. He’s also caused a stir in weightlifting, and at one point created his own competition federation separate from USA Weightlifting. Jon is reflective and thoughtful when it comes to his career in strength.
In our conversation, Jon talks about some fundamental changes in his life after he suffered a heart attack and was diagnosed with a hereditary heart condition. He also details his evolution as a coach and why he’s happier coaching far fewer athletes than he did years ago.
On this episode of The BarBend Podcast, host David Thomas Tao talks to Jon North about:
- Meet Jon North (0:40)
- Why not wanting more makes him a better coach and athlete (3:45)
- Drug addiction, Pumping Iron, and how Jon got into weightlifting, then bodybuilding (5:00)
- Being overloaded in life, in sport, and how that resulted in a near death experience (9:10)
- Trying to find the balance as an athlete and coach (15:45)
- His approach to coaching his weightlifting team (21:00)
Relevant links and further reading: