Less than a day remains until the kick off of the 2018 USA Weightlifting National Championships.
This year’s National Championships are taking place in Overland Park, Kansas and will begin on May 24th and run through May 27th. Fortunately, for weightlifting fans, family members, and everyone else, there will be two live streams running for the full competition days for the red and blue platforms. Color commentary will be provided by BarBend.com, the Official Media Partner of USA Weightlifting.
For those interested in tuning in live, we’ve linked the two platforms below.
This year’s final date to qualify was in late April, and in lead to this cutoff there had been a slight shift in qualifying totals. Many of the women’s weight classes have been increased to make it slightly tougher to qualify and to improve the level of competition.
Outside of the upcoming National Championships, USA Weightlifting’s senior team just competed and had a successful trip down in Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic at the 2018 Senior Pan American Weightlifting Championships.
The women’s team obtained 11 medals (2 gold, 6 silver, and 3 bronze) and the men’s team walked away with 9 (3 gold, 6 silver). Overall in points, the women’s team came in first and the men’s team came in sixth. If you missed any of the coverage of this event, check out the articles highlighting some big moments below.
- CJ Cummings American Record/Medals & Caitlin Hogan’s Medal
- Mattie Rogers Sweeps Silver for the Women’s -69kg Weight Class
- Harrison Maurus’ Goes Big At First International Competition At 85kg
- Wes Kitts Wins Gold
- Sarah Robles Wins Two Golds and a Silver
[Need more reasons to weightlift? Check out these 10 benefits of the clean & jerk.]
For those curious about events after the 2018 National Championships, we’ve included the full 2018 schedule, along with location details below.
- National Youth Championships, June 14-17, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- American Open Series 2, July 27-30, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
- American Open Series 3, September 13-16, Las Vegas, Nevada
- American Open Finals, December 7-10, Anaheim, California
Feature image from @usa_weightlifting Instagram page.