If you’ve been living the #fitlife for even a little while, you probably know that there’s no way around a regimented diet for fat loss. And so, fat burners are just a useless supplement designed to rob you of your hard-earned cheddar, right? Not necessarily. There’s actually a lot of evidence, both clinical and anecdotal, supporting fat burners as part of a well-planned fat loss regimen. Whether you need to cut for a physique show or you’re looking to shed some weight, fat burners for women may indeed have a place in your weight loss plan.
Not all ingredients of fat burners are created equal, either. Like capsaicin, some ingredients have reams of studies supporting their role in thermogenesis whereas hordenine has a couple of promising studies but needs more research. That doesn’t mean it’s useless for fat burning or that we don’t like seeing it in fat burners for women, but there should be a balance of fat burning ingredients that are well supported. Having a thoughtful balance of proven ingredients with more experimental ones is ultimately what separates the best fat burners for women from others.
There’s also the fact that there are a wide variety of ways that these ingredients can affect your waistline: appetite suppression, fat oxidation, increased thermogenesis, and decreased calorie absorption are the most popular.
Below, we break down our top picks, the ingredients that make up fat burners, and our methodology for choosing the brands that we did:
The Best Women’s Fat Burners
- The Best Fat Burner for Women: Leanbean
- The Best Fat Burner for Research-Backed Doses: Transparent Labs Fat Burner
- The Best Fat Burner for the Money: Jacked Factory BURN-XT
- The Best Fat Burner High in EGCG: Legion Phoenix
- The Best Fat Burner for Suppressing Your Appetite: Instant Knockout
- The Best Fat Burner for Retaining Muscle: Burn Lab Pro Fat Burning Support
Editor’s note: The content on BarBend is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as medical advice. The opinions and articles on this site are not intended for use as diagnosis, prevention, and/or treatment of health problems. It’s always a good idea to talk to your doctor before beginning a new fitness, nutritional, and/or supplement routine.
The Best Fat Burner for Women
If you’re concerned with ingesting artificial ingredients that are either useless or dangerous, then you want to look for a product that contains only what you need (and want).
Leanbean contains 12 fat burning ingredients to help you achieve your goals. A big part of the appeal is glucomannan, a thickener and gelling agent made from the root of the Japanese konjac plant that studies suggest can produce significant appetite suppression. (19) The ingredients list of this fat burner includes other fat burner stalwarts like cayenne pepper and green tea extract, and black pepper extract, which may also help increase metabolism, according to a 2016 paper from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. (20)
Leanbean fat burner seems a little low in green coffee extract and raspberry ketones, but that doesn’t mean this is ineffective all around — we were pretty impressed. It contains a small amount of natural caffeine. The cost of the best fat burner without artificial ingredients comes to about $2 per day.
This fat burner includes multiple ingredients to promote fullness and increase fat burning, such as garcinia cabogia, turmeric, and much more.
Who Should Take Leanbean?
- People who are concerned about ingesting artificial ingredients.
- Folks who don’t want to swallow multiple pills.
- Hungry individuals who would benefit from a slightly reduced appetite.
Who Shouldn’t Take Leanbean?
- People who are avid in taking fully-researched products.
- Individuals with sensitive stomachs.
The Best Fat Burner for Research-Backed Doses
We don’t blame you for wanting the supplement you’re taking to be backed by research. After all, it’s going in your body. That’s not to say that every effective product is fully supported by research, but the science-backed claims provide extra peace of mind to some folks.
Transparent Labs Fat Burner
Transparent Labs has done its homework. Their fat burner contains lots of EGCG, which increases calorie burn, theanine and tyrosine for improved focus, forskolin, and synephrine to increase your metabolism, and Coleus forskohlii in a dose that was linked to a “significant increase for lean body mass.” (21).
It’s not as effective as some of the other fat burners on this list for appetite suppression, but it’s still a phenomenal, research-backed fat burner. Transparent Labs also has a stimulant-free version of their fat burner for the same price (Transparent Labs Stim-Free Fat Burner). It costs about $1.60-$1.80 per day.
This fat burner contains research suggested ingredient amounts and comes at a reasonable price. Use the code BARBEND10 to get 10% off!
Who Should Buy Transparent Labs Fat burner
- People who are focused on buying products supported heavily by research.
- Folks who want to save a little money.
Who Shouldn’t Buy Transparent Labs Fat burner
- Those who are caffeine sensitive, as it contains 240 milligrams of caffeine per serving.
- People who want a more aggressive appetite suppressant.
- Non-meat eaters. This product is not vegetarian-friendly.
The Best Fat Burner for the Money
A quality fat burner doesn’t need to break the bank. You can save some money and still yield results — if you know what to look for.
Jacked Factory BURN-XT
This five-ingredient fat burner focuses on a weight-loss method called thermogenesisis, which is when the internal body temperature rises to elicit more calories (as it works harder to cool down). It also boasts caffeine, which is great for people who take this in the morning and then work out. It’ll essentially double as a pre-workout.
Jacked Factory's formula will save you money, but not at the expense of quality and efficacy.
Who Should Take Jacked Factory BURN-XT
- Women who want a stimulant, specifically caffeine, in their fat-burner.
- People who are on a budget and want a more affordable option.
Who Shouldn’t Take Jacked Factory BURN-XT
- People who want ingredients that may elicit fat loss in different ways (through fat oxidation and metabolic rate).
- Those who want a more diverse and extensive ingredient list.
- Women who want a stim-free fat burner.
The Best Fat Burner High in EGCG
EGCG, or green tea extract, is one of the most common ingredients found in fat burners. It’s heavily researched, and shown to not only decrease your fat mass but to improve the health of your liver, brain, heart, and even reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and cancer.
Another company making serious waves in the industry, Legion has two fat burners, but Phoenix is the best fat burner for women high in EGCG. (The other, Forge, is more of a pre-workout fat burner.) It’s got the same dose of forskolin as Transparent Labs, it has far more EGCG than any other fat burner on this list, and it has synephrine, naringin, and hesperidin.
Legion’s fat burner is caffeine-free, making it a great choice for women who get their caffeine dose from other sources (like coffee, green tea, or pre-workout supplements). Synephrine, naringin, and hesperidin are all extracts from citrus fruits that increase metabolism and speed up fat burning when used together. (22) At $1.04 per day, this is the most affordable fat burner on our list.
Legion's Phoenix comes with an extra absorbable form of synephrine and a high dosage of EGCG to promote its fat burning properties. Use code "BARBEND" for 20% off!
Who Should Take Legion Phoenix
- Folks who want to prioritize EGCG in their fat-loss regimen.
- Caffeine-addicts who don’t need any more from their fat burner.
- Money-conscious dieters.
Who Shouldn’t Take Legion Phoenix
- People who don’t want to take five — five! — pills per serving.
- Irritable dieters who may be made hungrier by this fat burner.
The Best Fat Burner for Suppressing Your Appetite
If you’re dieting then hunger is inevitable — there’s no way around it. Opting for a fat burner that boasts a more aggressive focus on suppressing your appetite is one way to help quell cravings.
This fat burner is a little similar to Leanbean in that it leans heavily on ingredients like glucomannan, green tea extract (though no mention of EGCG), green coffee extract, and black pepper extract. Though, it’s higher in cayenne pepper and contains chromium picolinate, which a meta-analysis in the International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders suggested might help a little bit with weight loss. (24)
The product explicitly states that it’s a great fat burner for women, but it has a sizable 350 milligrams of caffeine per daily serving, which may put off some customers. Stimulant ingredients like caffeine are popular and effective but some women can be too sensitive to caffeine. The cost is about $2 per day.
Who Should Take Instant Knockout
- Insatiable dieters in need of a toned-down appetite.
- Folks who want to take a fat burner with research-backed ingredients.
Who Shouldn’t Take Instant Knockout
- People who are overly sensitive to caffeine.
- Price-conscious buyers.
- Someone who wants EGCG in their fat burner.
The Best Fat Burner for Retaining Muscle
Eating in a caloric deficit for fat loss can oftentimes lead to muscle loss, as well. For women who specifically train to gain muscle, there’s a formula that can help you keep every hard-earned ounce of mass.
Burn Lab Pro Fat Burning Support
Burn Lab Pro boasts about its clean and science-backed ingredient label — and for good reason. Their formula includes ingredients that have been shown to work, such as capsaicin and black pepper extract. They also include a trace mineral called GTF Chromium, which is supposed to essentially coax your body into using glucose for energy instead of storing it as fat. However, what really makes this formula muscle-friendly is the use of HMB or Hydroxymethylbutyrate, a chemical that is broken down from the amino acid leucine. One double-blind placebo-controlled study showed that combat sports athletes who took HMB for 12 weeks showed significant body composition changes, meaning they lost fat and either retained or gained muscle mass. (25)
This formula includes HMB, an ingredient shown to help retain and build muscle mass. Keep your hard-earned muscle even on a diet.
Who Should Take Burn Lab Pro Fat Burning Support
- Women who are focused on gaining or retaining more muscle during a cut.
- People who want a caffeine-free product. Burn Labs Pro contains none.
Who Shouldn’t Take Burn Lab Pro Fat Burning Support
- Women who want a more robust ingredient list that includes herbs or even nootropics.
- Women who aren’t as muscle-focused and may find other fat burners to fit different specific needs.
What Is a Fat Burner, Anyway?
There are several different ways these products can impact women’s body fat levels, and they can be direct or indirect. It’s important to understand this; simply drinking a big glass of water before a meal will probably blunt your appetite. Eating more high-water foods like lettuce and watermelon will keep you fuller for fewer calories, as will high fiber foods. Yet water and watermelon aren’t called “fat burners.”
Calories are far and away the most important part of weight management. While some of the ingredients below help to blunt appetite, others take a different approach to “burning fat”. Here are some of the most common ways in which fat burners work.
Increasing Fat Oxidation
Your body converts carbohydrates to energy when it needs fuel. On the flip, fat, or adipose tissue, is stored as energy for your body to use later. One weight loss strategy is to coax your body into using stored fat as its primary energy source. A 2004 study in Nutrition noted that there are many different exercises and dietary strategies to help the body burn more fat for fuel over carbs. (1) This process is also called fat oxidation, and it’s about as close to a literal “fat burner” as you can get. Popular examples of fat burners for women include green tea extract (more specifically the antioxidant EGCG) and l-carnitine.
Increasing Metabolic Rate
To lose weight, you need to burn calories. There are two primary ways to increase your net calorie burn: 1) decrease the number of calories you consume, 2) increase your energy expenditure with conditioning work, and strength training. If you’re dieting and increasing your activity level, then taking a fat burner with ingredients that may boost your body’s resting metabolic rate, which will in turn, increase your net calorie burn. Capsaicin, a compound that makes peppers spicy, is perhaps the most common of those fat burning ingredients, but hordenine and synephrine are also effective
There are various ways women can decrease hunger, from prompting hormonal changes to starches that expand in the stomach. Given that the previous two entries seldom add up to more than a hundred extra calories burned, appetite suppression may be the most important part of fat burning. Glucomannan, made from the Japanese konjac tree, is one of the best-supported examples but ingredients like 5-HTP and psyllium husk also have many evidence.
How We Decide the Best Fat Burner for Women
We won’t try and pull the wool over your eyes and say that every ingredient in each of the fat burners reviewed is 100% supported by science. Still, we strive to ensure that studies back a fair amount of the prominent ingredients listed. Some ingredients may have beneficial effects, but their marketing claims are too high. For example, many products will tell you to take a fat burning supplement before a meal, and you won’t absorb any of the carbs. We cut these fat burners for women out.
Raspberry ketones are good examples of fat burning ingredients that could work, but virtually nobody uses the dose that produced effects in studies. Now, that doesn’t mean we’re going to disqualify any fat burning supplement that has ingredients like that — if a fat burner has 5 perfectly dosed fat burning ingredients and 1 imperfectly dosed ingredient, we’re not going to throw it in the trash — but a lot of ineffective doses will hurt a product’s rating.
Way too many fat burners for women contain interesting ingredients, but don’t tell you how much of each fat burning ingredient they contain. If we don’t know the dose, it’s hard to know just how effective the fat burner is. For that reason, fat burners that rely on proprietary blends were considered unfavorable.
We also need to emphasize that fat burners vary a lot in their ingredients — some lean more on appetite suppressants than increasing fat oxidation, and so on — so it’s pretty tough to decide which of two fat burners for women is a better value when their ingredients are totally different. Still, $2 per day is a good threshold.
10 Common Fat Burner Ingredients
All of the fat burners on our list contain a handful, if not all, of the ingredients in the right doses, can p to boost the body’s ability to burn more calories or feel less hungry. Some of these ingredients are even taken solo.
Caffeine— which is primarily found in coffee and tea— is a stimulant. Stimulants appear to help with fat loss, as they increase your adrenaline, which appears to help break down fats. (1) Caffeine also provides you with the energy needed to exercise and tells your body to breakdown fats at the same time.
There may also be added calorie-burning benefits from taking caffeine — albeit, under 100 calories a day, according to research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. (2) If you receive a lot of caffeine from other sources, like coffee or green tea, you may want to look for fat burners that contain little to no caffeine.
Another popular stimulant is yohimbine, an alkaloid derived from Central Africa’s yohimbe tree. While it may help reduce appetite, most research revolves around its apparent ability to reduce fat. A 2006 study in Research in Sports Medicine, for instance, saw that soccer players lost two more body fat percentage points than a placebo group over three weeks. (3)
An active component in chili peppers, capsaicin has been linked to increased metabolism and therefore overall calorie burn. Studies published in Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand and the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition estimate that it’s probably no more than 5 to 50 extra calories per day. (4)(5)
When a study was published in 2010 in Planta Publica that found raspberry ketones reduced body fat among rodents, supplement companies cashed in. (16) Raspberry ketones are listed among some popular ingredients fat burners, like Leanbean. Still, there aren’t any conclusive human studies. When you correct for body weight, the studies on rodents used amounts much larger than what you’d find in any fat burning supplement for women.
This molecule found in plants is under-researched overall. However, a promising 2009 study in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition concluded that this fat burning supplement caused “a significant increase in energy expenditure” along with favorable changes in mood and blood pressure. (6)
Synephrine works synergistically with caffeine. Along with other ingredients, like naringin and hesperidin (all of these are citrus extracts), it can increase your metabolic rate. You can find all of these ingredients combined (except for caffeine) in Legion’s fat burner. A placebo-controlled study in the International Journal of Medical Sciences found that 50 milligrams of the stuff increased the participants’ metabolism by 65 calories without increasing hunger. (7) When combined with food, the calorie burn could be twice that amount. (8)
Green Tea Extract
Green tea extract is one of the most frequently used ingredients in fat burning supplements. Green tea extract can be good for your brain (26), heart (27), and liver (28). It also contains caffeine and catechins, both of which will help you burn calories. The main focus here is on EGCG, however, an antioxidant that appears to affect both fat mass and fat oxidation. (11)
A double-blind study from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, for example, saw a 17 percent increase in fat oxidation with 366mg of EGCGs. (12)(13) Make sure the label specifies the tea’s EGCG content because some companies just sell capsules of tea leaves, which is not the same.
Green tea extract can have a positive impact on your overall health beyond weight loss. Green tea extract can reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disases, and cancern theancer. Its compounds can be good for your skin. Finally, green tea extract can delay muscle fatigue to let you exercise more efficiently.
This Indonesian fruit gets a lot of hype for some studies, like one published in 2003 in Current Therapeutic Research, that found it may “significantly reduce” belly fat. (14) This isn’t well-supported just yet, though, and other studies have found this “fat-burning” ingredient doesn’t really have any effect. (15)
Green Coffee Bean Extract
Green coffee bean extract is made of unroasted coffee beans. The main fat burning components of green coffee bean extract are caffeine and chlorogenic acid. This ingredient gets a lot of play as chlorogenic acid may inhibit calorie absorption. (17)
Roasted coffee beans contain less chlorogenic acid. This is why extract of unroasted green coffee beans is used in fat burners. One of the most popular studies found that chlorogenic acid-enriched coffee resulted in three times more weight lost than a placebo group (5.4kg versus 1.7kg over 12 weeks). (18) Look for at least 120 to 300mg per day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do fat burners work?
They do, but not to the point that pills alone will eliminate a pot belly. “Fat burners” can have several effects, the most useful of which is appetite suppression, as it’s excess calories that cause weight gain. Some ingredients, like cayenne, synephrine, and green tea extract, may help you to burn an extra 50 to 200 calories per day.
What are the best natural fat burners?
Caffeine: Seems to increase adrenaline, which breaks down fats, and decrease the release of fatty acids. Might burn an extra 100 calories or so.
Vitamin D: Some studies found it reduces the amount of new fat cells formed and suppress storage of fat.
Forskolin: It may signal cells to produce more ATP, helping you burn more energy reserves.
Yohimbine: Some find it hard to digest, but 5 to 20 milligrams of this stimulant might lead to more fat loss.
Chili peppers: Cayenne might suppress appetite and increase metabolic rate, perhaps from 5 to 50 calories per day.
Does cayenne pepper actually help you burn fat?
Probably. Research suggests it can increase fat oxidation, cause an increase in calories burned, and suppress appetite. If it suppresses appetite and makes you eat less, that’s the most useful effect, as it otherwise likely only burns an extra 5 to 50 extra calories.
Remember, fat burners need to be used judiciously and in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise routine. Certain “fat-burning ingredients” can suppress appetite and increase resting metabolism but even taking the best womens fat burner will not make miracles happen. We’ve also listed popular fat burning ingredients to help you make the right choice. Some people can be too sensitive to certain actively used ingredients of fat burners, like caffeine. There is no way for us to predict that. Before you do make any changes to your diet and exercise routine, be sure to speak with your physician and discuss the merits of adding fat burning products like these.
1. Achten J, et al. Optimizing fat oxidation through exercise and diet. Nutrition. 2004 Jul-Aug;20(7-8):716-27.
2. Dulloo AG, et al. Normal caffeine consumption: influence on thermogenesis and daily energy expenditure in lean and postobese human volunteers. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Jan;49(1):44-50.
3. Ostojic SM. Yohimbine: the effects on body composition and exercise performance in soccer players. Res Sports Med. 2006 Oct-Dec;14(4):289-99.
4. Chaiyata P, et al. Effect of chili pepper (Capsicum frutescens) ingestion on plasma glucose response and metabolic rate in Thai women. J Med Assoc Thai. 2003 Sep;86(9):854-60.
5. Galgani JE, et al. Effect of dihydrocapsiate on resting metabolic rate in humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Nov;92(5):1089-93.
6. Hoffman JR, et al. Thermogenic effect of an acute ingestion of a weight loss supplement. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2009 Jan 6;6:1.
7. Stohs SJ, et al. Effects of p-synephrine alone and in combination with selected bioflavonoids on resting metabolism, blood pressure, heart rate and self-reported mood changes. Int J Med Sci. 2011 Apr 28;8(4):295-301.
8. Stohs SJ, et al. Effects of p-synephrine alone and in combination with selected bioflavonoids on resting metabolism, blood pressure, heart rate and self-reported mood changes. Int J Med Sci. 2011 Apr 28;8(4):295-301.
9. Pistone G, et al. Levocarnitine administration in elderly subjects with rapid muscle fatigue: effect on body composition, lipid profile and fatigue. Drugs Aging. 2003;20(10):761-7.
10. Malaguarnera M, et al. Acetyl L-carnitine (ALC) treatment in elderly patients with fatigue. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2008 Mar-Apr;46(2):181-90.
11. Hursel R, et al. The effects of green tea extract on weight loss and weight maintenance: a meta-analysis. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009 Sep;33(9):956-61.
12. Thielecke F, et al. Epigallocatechin-3-gallate in overweight/obese male volunteers: a pilot study. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2010 Jul;64(7):704-13.
13. Venables MC, et al. Green tea extract ingestion, fat oxidation, and glucose tolerance in healthy humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Mar;87(3):778-84.
14. Hayamizu K, et al. Effects of garcinia cambogia (Hydroxycitric Acid) on visceral fat accumulation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Curr Ther Res Clin Exp. 2003 Sep;64(8):551-67.
15. Heymsfield SB, et al. Garcinia cambogia (hydroxycitric acid) as a potential antiobesity agent: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 1998 Nov 11;280(18):1596-600.
16. Park KS. Raspberry ketone increases both lipolysis and fatty acid oxidation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Planta Med. 2010 Oct;76(15):1654-8.
17. Onakpoya I, et al. The use of green coffee extract as a weight loss supplement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2011;2011.
18. Thom E. The effect of chlorogenic acid enriched coffee on glucose absorption in healthy volunteers and its effect on body mass when used long-term in overweight and obese people. J Int Med Res. 2007 Nov-Dec;35(6):900-8.
19. Walsh DE, et al. Effect of glucomannan on obese patients: a clinical study. Int J Obes. 1984;8(4):289-93.
20. Nogara L, et al. Piperine’s mitigation of obesity and diabetes can be explained by its up-regulation of resting muscle’s metabolic rate. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Nov 15;113(46):13009-13014.
21. Godard MP, et al. Body composition and hormonal adaptations associated with forskolin consumption in overweight and obese men. Obes Res. 2005 Aug;13(8):1335-43.
22. Stohs SJ, et al. Effects of p-synephrine alone and in combination with selected bioflavonoids on resting metabolism, blood pressure, heart rate and self-reported mood changes. Int J Med Sci. 2011 Apr 28;8(4):295-301.
23. Dulloo AG. Ephedrine, xanthines and prostaglandin-inhibitors: actions and interactions in the stimulation of thermogenesis. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1993 Feb;17 Suppl 1:S35-40.
24. Pittler MH, et al. Chromium picolinate for reducing body weight: meta-analysis of randomized trials.
25. Durkalec-Michalski K, Jeszka J, Podgórski T. The Effect of a 12-Week Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) Supplementation on Highly-Trained Combat Sports Athletes: A Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Study. Nutrients. 2017;9(7):753. Published 2017 Jul 14. doi:10.3390/nu9070753
26. Schmidt A, et al. Green tea extract enhances parieto-frontal connectivity during working memory processing. 2014 Oct;231(19):3879-88.
27. Bogdanski P, et al. Green tea extract reduces blood pressure, inflammatory biomarkers, and oxidative stress and improves parameters associated with insulin resistance in obese, hypertensive patients. 2012 Jun;32(6):421-7.
28. Pezeshki A, et al. The Effect of Green Tea Extract Supplementation on Liver Enzymes in Patients with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. 2016 Feb 1;7:28. doi: 10.4103/2008-7802.173051.