CrossFit HQ announced the schedule for their 2021 season in a press release, which will kick off with a three-week-long virtual CrossFit Open starting on March 11, 2021. Those who want to participate can register at games.crossfit.com starting on Jan. 7, 2021. The release also announced significant changes to CrossFit Games qualification, including a new series of virtual quarterfinals and in-person semifinals — plus a “Last Chance” qualifier — to help determine the Games field.
“The last year has been tough for everyone, so we want to kick off the 2021 season with a compelling and accessible Open that can meet the needs of every athlete in the world,” Dave Castro, GM of Sport for CrossFit,” said in the press release. “Whether you’re surrounded by people in your local gym, working out alone at home, or listening to friends cheer over Zoom, the Open will energize you and remind you why you are part of CrossFit.”
“Every part of this season has been designed to ensure as many people as possible can take part in and experience the excitement, challenge, and joy of the Open,” said Eric Roza, CEO of @CrossFit. https://t.co/6vy07BA9DY
— The CrossFit Games (@CrossFitGames) December 17, 2020
Here’s the entire 2021 CrossFit Season Calendar:
- Jan. 7 — Registration Starts — games.crossfit.com
- Week of March 8 — Open, week one — Local gyms, athletes’ homes (online)
- Week of March 15 — Open, week two — Local gyms, athletes’ homes (online)
- Week of March 22 — Open, week three — Local gyms, athletes’ homes (online)
- Week of April 5 — Quarterfinals, Individual Divisions — Local gyms (online)
- Week of April 19 — Quarterfinals, Teams Division — Local gyms (online)
- Week of May 3 — Qualifier, Masters & Teens Divisions — Local gyms (online)
- Week of May 24 — Semifinals, week one — Worldwide (in-person*)
- Week of May 31 — Semifinals, week two — Worldwide (in-person*)
- Week of June 7 — Semifinals, week three — Worldwide (in-person*)
- Week of June 14 — Semifinals, week four — Worldwide (in-person*)
- Week of June 28 — Last-Chance Qualifier — Local gyms (online)
- Week of July 26 — CrossFit Games Finals — Madison, Wisconsin (in-person*)
CrossFit also announced a series of changes to this year’s Open/Games season. These include:
- A worldwide quarterfinals event that will include about 10% of Open athletes, who will compete virtually from their local gyms.
- The Affiliate Cup will see affiliate teams compete to qualify for the Games quarter and semifinals.
- The inclusion of an Adaptive Division.
- A series of 10 in-person semifinal events to take place across six continents, to include one athlete from each continent in the Games.
- Athletes who came close to qualifying in the semifinals will have a final chance to make the Games through a “Last Chance” qualifier.
- As of now, the Games will take place live and in-person the week of July 26, 2021, in Madison, Wisconsin (with an online backup plan if needed.)
- CrossFit will be offering gift codes for Open registration to allow people to gift registration to friends and family.
BarBend also reached out to Andrew Weinstein, CrossFit’s Head of Communications and Public Policy for more information about this recent announcement. According to Weinstein, other than the Quarterfinals, Semifinals, and Last Chance Qualifier, there will be no other ways for athletes to qualify for the Games. Additionally, no athletes will be able to qualify directly from the Open — only the Quarterfinals and Semifinals.
In the release, CrossFit CEO Eric Roza emphasized the upcoming competition year’s emphasis on inclusion:
“A shorter Open means easier logistics for gym owners; a later start date gives more time for local reopenings; at-home options ensure access for all; masters, teen, and adaptive divisions welcome a broader group of participants; and continent-based semifinals guarantee that athletes from all areas of the world will be represented at the Games,” Roza said in the release. “I’m thrilled to be joining hundreds of thousands of CrossFit athletes around the world in this iconic event.”
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the 2021 CrossFit season start?
How long will the CrossFit open last?
Who can compete in the CrossFit Open?
The CrossFit Open is available to any athlete looking to compete.
When are the 2021 CrossFit Games Finals?
The 2021 CrossFit Games Finals are scheduled to take place the week of July 26, 2021. CrossFit tentatively plans to hold the games in-person in Madison, Wisconsin.
Stay tuned to BarBend for more updates on the 2021 CrossFit season, including who this year’s partners will be and the size of the 2021 Games field.
Featured image: CrossFit