The 2020 CrossFit Open is right around the corner, and once those five grueling weeks wrap up, we’re off to the races towards the Reebok CrossFit Games.
This year, there have been a ton of changes made to the CrossFit Games season. For starters, the CrossFit Open is now taking place in the fall, we’re getting more Sanctionals™ than ever, and the CrossFit Games themselves continue to evolve with new rules and formatting.
With all of the new changes, it can be incredibly easy to miss some of the smaller details, especially if you’re not always on the beat. To help you out, we’ve built out a full guide and schedule for the 2019-2020 CrossFit Games season, which we will keep updated with all of the latest information throughout the entirety of the season.
The 2020 CrossFit Games Open
CrossFit Open Workout 20.1 will kick off on Thursday, October 10th and we’ve provided an ultimate guide to following it. The Open runs for five weeks starting from Thursday, October 10th through November 11th. We’ll provide updates and details surrounding the workout announcements as they happen.
Similar to previous years, every Thursday throughout the Open new workouts will be announced live at 5 PM PT. Open submission deadline is the Monday following each workout released, and the deadline time for workout submission is 5:00 PM PT. See below for more details!
|Open Workout||Start / Deadline Submission Dates|
|CrossFit Open Workout 20.1||Start: October 10th / Deadline: October 14th, 5 PM PT|
|CrossFit Open Workout 20.2||Start: October 17th / Deadline: October 21st, 5 PM PT|
|CrossFit Open Workout 20.3||Start: October 24th / Deadline: October 28th, 5 PM PT|
|CrossFit Open Workout 20.4||Start: October 31st/ Deadline: November 4th, 5 PM PT|
|CrossFit Open Workout 20.5||Start: November 7th / Deadline: November 11th, 5 PM PT|
Check out our full CrossFit Open guide for more details!
Following the Open, the Sanctionals action begins. The first Sanctionals event will take place on November 22, 2019 in Dublin, Ireland and will be the CrossFit Filthy 150.
CrossFit Sanctionals Schedules
This year, there are 28 total Sanctionals, which is considerably more than last year’s 15 events. The top finishers from each of the CrossFit Sanctionals™ will receive invitations to the 2020 Reebok CrossFit Games next summer in Madison, Wisconsin. The competitions will run from November through July, 2020.
Check out the Sanctionals schedule below:
- CrossFit Filthy 150: November 22 – 24, 2019 (Dublin, Ireland)
- CrossFit Challenge: December 7 – 8, 2019 (Chengdu, China)
- Dubai CrossFit Championship: December 11 – 14, 2019 (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
- The Southfit CrossFit Challenge: December 20 – 21, 2019 (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- CrossFit Mayhem Classic: January 11 – 12, 2020 (Cookeville, Tennessee, U.S.)
- CrossFit Strength in Depth: January 24 – 26, 2020 (London, United Kingdom)
- CrossFit Fittest in Cape Town February 6 – 9, 2020 (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Norwegian CrossFit Championship: February 14 – 16, 2020 (Gol, Norway)
- Wodapalooza CrossFit Festival: February 20 – 23, 2020 (Miami, Florida, U.S.)
- Australian CrossFit Championship: March 5 – 8, 2020 (Queensland, Australia)
- Brazil CrossFit Championship: March 6 – 8, 2020 (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Reykjavík CrossFit Championship: March 13 – 15, 2020 (Reykjavík, Iceland)
- West Coast CrossFit Classic: March 20 – 22, 2020 (Del Mar, California, U.S.)
- CrossFit German Throwdown: March 28 – 29, 2020 (Berlin, Germany)
- CrossFit Atlas Games: April 3 – 5, 2020 (Montreal, Canada)
- ELFIT CrossFit Championship: April 8 -11, 2020 (Hurghada, Egypt)
- Mid-Atlantic CrossFit Challenge: April 17 – 19, 2020 (Washington, D.C., U.S.)
- CrossFit Italian Showdown: April 24 – 26, 2020 (Milan, Italy)
- Madrid CrossFit Championship: May 1 – 3, 2020 (Madrid, Spain)
- Asia CrossFit Championship: May 8 – 10, 2020 (Shanghai, China)
- The Rogue Invitational: May 2020 (Columbus, Ohio, U.S.)
- Down Under CrossFit Championship: May 22 – 24, 2020 (Wollongong, Australia)
- CrossFit Lowlands Throwdown: May 29 – 31, 2020 (Apeldoorn, Netherlands)
- CanWest CrossFit Championship: June 5 – 7, 2020 (Vancouver, B.C., Canada)
- The Granite Games: June 12 – 14, 2020 (U.S.)
- Asbury Summer Games: June 20 – 21, 2020 (Asbury Park, New Jersey, U.S.)
- CrossFit French Throwdown: June 26 – 28, 2020 (Paris, France)
- Mayan CrossFit Championship: July 3 – 5, 2020 (Riviera Maya, Mexico)
2020 CrossFit Games
As of right now, it appears the 2020 CrossFit Games will be held in August, however the exact dates have yet to be released. Once more details surrounding exact dates and times are released, we will update this page accordingly.
Who Can Earn Invites to the 2020 CrossFit Games?
Invitations to the 2020 Reebok CrossFit Games can be awarded in multiples way including:
- Winning a Sanctionals competition
- Being a CrossFit Open National Champion
- Finishing in the top 20 for the CrossFit Open
- Earning a Wild Card invite*
*A Wild Card spot means that the athlete has not earned a spot by way of the CrossFit Sanctionals™ events, being a National Champion, or through the Open. CrossFit, Inc. has the right to give discretionary invites to up to four individual athletes to compete at the Games.
CrossFit Games Rulebook Changes
This season there have been several changes made to the CrossFit Games Rulebook. We’ve gone ahead and highlighted five of the biggest changes to take note of:
If you’re interested in reading the complete rulebook, then visit the CrossFit Games’ website.
What They’re Saying
After the 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games wrapped up in Madison, Wisconsin this past August, there was a lot to unpack. It was an exciting few days of competition to say the least, with brutal cuts, all kinds of scoring shakeups, and history being made.
Here are some highlights from the 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games
- Mat Fraser and Tia-Clair Toomey Win 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games
- Final Results and Standings from the 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games
- Top Athletes Reflect on the 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games
Over the past couple months we’ve interviewed a handful of CrossFit Games athletes to hear about how they are preparing for this new season, and also what their takeaways were from last year.
Looking forward, hear what these athletes are predicting:
- Emily Rolfe: Proving She’s No One-Hit Wonder At the 2019 CrossFit Games
- Kari Pearce: How She’s Ready To Battle Her Way To The Podium
- Brent Fikowski: How He’s Preparing for the 2019-2020 CrossFit Games Open
- Kristin Holte: How She Plans to Attack the 2020 Season
Starting from the first Open workout announcement on Thursday until next summer’s 2020 Reebok CrossFit Games, we’ll be providing news, video, player interviews, and more. In the meantime, study up ahead of the Open and get ready for a crazy new season.
Featured image from @emily_rolfe19 Instagram page.