Today we’re talking to CrossFit athlete, James Newbury, who finished 5th in the 2019 Reebok CrossFit Games. Due to a shortened qualifying season, James isn’t competing in the 2020 Games this year, along with many other top athletes in the sport. But that hasn’t stopped James from honing his craft as an elite athlete, training more for power and strength, while also exploring other sports like surfing and weightlifting.
As one of the world’s fittest men, James offers his thoughts on competing virtually vs in-person, the mind games that happen behind the scenes at these events, and of course, a few of his top picks to win the Games this year.
We want to take a second to give a special shoutout to our episode sponsor, Transparent Labs. If you want clean, clearly labeled supplements with ingredients backed by science, Transparent Labs has you covered. (Seriously, no hidden ingredients, no proprietary blends, and nothing artificial.) That includes their uber-popular BULK pre-workout, with ingredients we love to see for focus and energy PLUS vitamin D3, boron, and zinc. All the good stuff, absolutely no fillers. Use code “BARBEND” at checkout for an extra 10% off your order.
On this episode of The BarBend Podcast, host David Tao talks to James Newbury about:
- His experience competing in his first olympic weightlifting meet (2:35)
- How he’s training differently since we his not competing in the 2020 CrossFit Games (7:55)
- James’ plant-based diet and some of his favorite recipes (16:40)
- Who he thinks looks really good going into Stage 1 of the Games (18:00)
- Which athletes might struggle with the online format (20:00)
- The mind games that athletes play during the events (22:45)
- What the max attempt event might be be this year (30:23)
Learn more about our sponsor Transparent Labs and get 10% off your order with code “BARBEND.” (We may receive commissions on items purchased through links on this page.)
Like many Transparent Labs products, it's an extraordinarily well dosed pre workout supplement for endurance, power, and focus. Use code BARBEND10 to save 10%.
Relevant links and further reading: